John asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 2 months ago

How would you deal with relatives trying to get a big chunk of your lottery money?

Tell them you got pranked!

Not give it to them.

You cannot be taken advantage of unless you allow it. Tell them your accountant handled it for you, and you don't have any money to give away. Depending on who the person is, you may give them money, but fully expect others will want to benefit, too. 

If I won a lot of money, I would share it with my sister and my sons, but no one else would even know I won because I would be laying on a beach in Costa Rica, getting a massage by a tanned and glorious young guy.

Count your losses and shun them, John.

They wouldn't know I won the lottery...

Personally, it would depend on who the relative is, as much as I love all my relatives there are some I wouldn't give any money to. But it depends on how big of a chunk that they wanted. If you won $10,000 and they wanted $3,000 I would be like hey thats a lot how about a third of that and maybe ask if you can repay me in the future depending on what they want the money for. But like I said it all depends on how close they are and what their intentions with the money are.

• drip

They can’t do anything unless you allow them to.

Don’t answer the phone. Don’t allow them to come into your home. Shut down social media accounts. 

Get a bank account at a different bank than who you are with now. Don’t let anyone know where you bank. 

Do you live with family? 

How much money? Enough to live on your own?

Get your own place. 

Don’t discuss your finances with anyone, except your accountant  and tax attorney.  

Say the exact same thing repeatedly to everyone who asks for money. 

Sorry I am not discussing my personal finances with anyone. 

Sorry I am not discussing my money with anyone,

Sorry No.

No.

And change the subject. Walk away. Hang up. Leave. 

They can try all they want to. You only have to say no.  They can not take any money unless you allow them to.

I'd rip up the ticket before I'd give them anything.

Send them a postcard from Hawaii.

Move.  Better yet, maybe go to Disneyland Shanghai for a month or two.  It just reopened and no one will know who you are.  Then when you come back, have a new house some wheres else.  Then send a moving company to pick up your house hold belongings and relocate them to your new home while you put your old house on the market.