Is Natural Family Planning an effective form of contraception?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • LizB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It can be if you have a very regular cycle, are willing to track it closely, and are willing to either abstain from sex or utilize barrier methods during your fertile week.

However, it's a method that also is at relatively high risk for failure, since even if your cycle is pretty regular (and you and your partner have a high level of self-control around sex), any woman can have a weird month where ovulation occurs later than expected. You *could* have all the signs of ovulation -- cervical changes, egg white CM, positive LH test -- but for whatever reason your ovary decides not to release an egg and tries again later that month. So you might think you're in the clear and go back to having sex, and then whambamthankyoumam! you're preggers.

Basically, if an unplanned pregnancy could be an absolute disaster for you, don't do NFP. If an unplanned pregnancy would be less-than-ideal but you and your partner agree that you could accept it if it did happen, then NFP can be a way of avoiding the unpleasantries of hormonal BC. Reliable condom use is still a statistically better BC method than NFP, though.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • GB
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

If by this you mean refraining from sex, yes it works.

• 2 months ago

I believe it can be if done properly. 

• 2 months ago

That is the reason my daughter was a teen mum

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The old joke that people who depend on natural family planning are usually called parents.

• God
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

By Natural Family Planning I suppose you mean the rhythm method.  That's what the Catholic Church has always promoted.  That's why Catholic families were so large before Catholics began ignoring the church teachings.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.