Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetHardwareDesktops · 5 months ago

do you consider an intel i9 processor with a RTX-2080S graphics card and 128 GB of ram excessive for a gaming computer?

Update:

I'm talking about the i9-109000k not the one that came before it

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That depends on which i9 processor you're referring to. Socket 2066 chips like the i9-7900x or i9-10980xe aren't the greatest for modern games because they have slower L3 cache and thanks to lower clocks they lack the single core performance of their Socket 1151/1200 counterparts. 

Processors like the i9-9900k, i7-9700k, along with the forthcoming i7-10700k, and i9-10900k still use a Ring Bus to connect the cores to the L3 cache which is a proven winner for Gaming. The Core i5 series does well and in a lot of cases the finical return the i7 and i9 processors bring aren't worth the money. However, as far as performance goes, you can't beat the 9900k and 9700k in gaming.

I wouldn't say the RTX 2080 Super is excessive because the user might be gaming with a 4k monitor or a 1440p/144hz monitor and they want all the power they can get.

128gb of RAM is far too much for gaming alone. Within the last couple of years the ideal gaming rig crossed the 8gb threshold. I would expect 16gb of RAM to be ideal for a gaming rig for the next 2-4 years but that's always hard to say.

Some of the old Socket 775 motherboards supported 16gb of RAM. The Core 2 CPU went obsolete before 16gb of RAM became useful. 

• 5 months ago

YES 128gb is ALOTTTT

32 Is good enough for that system

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Why would you buy 128gb of memory? Unless you are running a vast LAN/network as a server you need no more than 16gb at the most! Otherwise you are just wasting your money!

Installing 128gb of RAM into a home computer isn't going to improve your overall system performance, it's just going to add to your wallet deficit! 128gb isn't impressive, it's just stupid!

• 5 months ago

I consider the money for an i9 excessive, when a Ryzen 9 is far faster and somewhat cheaper!

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Cor...

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+Ryzen...

128GB RAM is definitely excessive and pointless; 16 - 32GB is plenty.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

just get a core i5 its better

• Lv 7
    5 months ago

maybe right now, but you know, a decade or 2 ago, 128MB RAM was considered overkill.

think of it as future-proofing your computer...

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

yes i do. .....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.