Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAfrica & Middle EastIsrael · 2 months ago

Why do so many young people support the Palestinian cause, but are strangely silent on India's actions in Kashmir?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 7mood
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You cannot compare the cases because the situation is extremely different. actually no where in the world has similar scenario to the one in the holy land. Kashmir was a region under "Hindustan" or British Raj. The brits did their usual strategy of divide and conquer by spreading hate between muslims and hindus (loooong story) and the tension started between both till this day (India or Hindus took a part, Pakistan or muslims took a part , and the Chinese... well they just took it because who could tell them no?). the point is all parties are "South Asians who follow different religion". 

The case of the holy land is extremely different. It started with European jews decided to have their homeland because they were treated like rubbish (don't know why every single ethnicity has oppressed them throughout the human history) by "christian" europeans so they decided to leave europe and have a homeland exclusively to them. their dream started in the late 1800's by mass immigration to the holy land which at that time was a region called "the Mutasarifiyatte of Jerusalem" under the OTTOMAN EMPIRE. they kept on traveling to the holy land which obviously started annoying local arabs who viewed them as rich europeans coming to them with loaded pockets and buying large portions of their land. 

Anyway eventually the ottomans lost the war and they lost control of that region then the brits took over and did their usual divide and conquer plan by telling Arabs "help us overthrowing the Ottomans and we shall give you an Arab kingdom that stretches from Damascus to Jerusalem" and they told the Jews "You deserve your own homeland and Historical Israel shall be the homeland for all Jews". long story short, they made both parties fight (literally) and withdrew gracefully. 

And guess what, they are still fighting till this day :D 

Thanks Britania, you are a ****.

Source(s): History
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • TNO
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

There are a whole lot of conflicts that are overlooked by many people, including today's youth. Does anyone still talk about Tibet? Things haven't changed for them over there. The Uighurs are getting a bit more attention nowadays (though are still pretty ignored) but a lot of people don't know about the Rohingya. And the Kurds would like some attention too, ya know. A lot of peoples suffer worldwide, but you wouldn't know that with how the world divides its attention. A disproportionate amount focuses on the complaints from the Palestinians, to a point where a lot of people are under the mistaken belief that no group suffers as badly as they claim.

With the Palestinians, I think there are a few factors in play. One is the media spin a lot of pro-Palestinian activists have shown the world. This spin often leaves out context or nuance favorable or humanizing to Israelis, and shows the world a narrative heavily manipulated or even fabricated. A lot of people were outraged at photos of Palestinians rallying against Israeli borders, but they seem to be unaware of the violent rhetoric that comes from a lot of so-called protesters or the weapons they've brought to "peaceful" demonstrations. I even remember some people being mad an Israeli cop shot a Palestinian...but that's because the headline a more sympathetic newspaper put out failed to illustrate that the Palestinian was shot because he actively was trying to injure Israeli civilians. It's really easy to manipulate what images we see, and in cases straight up lie: I've seen images of SYRIAN refugees being passed off as "victims" of Israeli aggression on platforms like Facebook and Twitter when the photos of these people are reliably sourced and shown to have nothing to do with Israel."Pallywood" is a term to highlight how there is an entire industry in pushing a lie and manipulate the narrative to a very anti-Israel statement, and a lot of people engage in it. I don't think that with India and Kashmir you'll find the activists as engaged in directing the narrative though media, which makes the cause less focused on by us outsiders.

What also helps is that the Arab and Muslim worlds, whose interest in backing the Palestinians can be attributed heavily to shared religious and/or ethnic backgrounds, are much more spread out and are larger than the one that can only back Israel in a similar way: the Jewish world, of which Israel is 40-50% itself. This leaves a lot of people to back Palestine just because they want to support their people, and a lot of people to make certain messages viral. With India, it's pretty much focused on itself, though it is also a heavily Muslim area so you think the Muslim world would be a bit more focused on it. Unfortunately for them, there is a bit more focus on Israel because of the religious element as well as their viewpoint that Jews are "invaders" who have no place there, whereas it's harder to paint the Indians as foreigners.

This whole idea that the Jews are completely foreign is also a way to understand why Israel gets the focus, especially in the West. A lot of people are focused on correcting historic wrongs like colonization, and a lot of that paradigm has been forced onto the Arab-Israel issue. To those without a deeper understanding of many different types of history, it can be really easy to manipulate the narrative so that it makes Israel look akin to other colonizing forces. This often ignores a lot of other factors and facts, especially Jewish claims of return and the native elements of their people to the land. It really becomes evident that a lot of people are just taking the story the have with European powers and applying it to Israel rather lazily, especially when they go so far as to accuse Israelis of being white supremacists...something not even the most "European" Jews could ever claim, especially historically, and ignores the unquestionable Middle Eastern background of at least half the Jews there. Even by skin tone, this is laughable as a lot of Ashkenazi (the most "European") Jews can be read as non-white while many Palestinians can pass as white since they're pale. But it's only laughable to those who are aware of this, since unfortunately the narrative has bleached the Jews in the minds of so many people. With India, the people there are still seen as "brown" and the brown vs. brown issue isn't as lucrative to those who understand and are more expedient to fix what the the white world has done. This has really served to popularize Palestine in the West seeking to rectify white supremacy and colonization on their own part. This is especially true with some other ethnic-focused groups. I've seen some black activists say that their "liberation" is tied with the Palestinians, though I haven't seem them even touch India or another area. 

Lastly, I'll just mention geo-politics and how changing relations can affect things. Take Tibet for example... there was a very healthy "free Tibet" movement that died out as China was opening up, as if people didn't want to offend that nation so much anymore. Minorities like the Kurds don't have any international presence so their issues are very ignored, or were until they were forced more into the spotlight with ISIS also screwing them over yet they fought against them as well. I'm no expert on India and Pakistan, but similar considerations may be at play, not focusing on the area due to more diplomatic reasons. The US is rather close with both nations, at least. 

• ...Show all comments
    • Robert
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

TNO - You may have noticed the number of my answers where I have put a correction-comment, because I was unhappy with something my answer. It would be nice to be allowed to edit without my edited-answer being immediately-"ghosted". I  can see your edited-answer!

• Most youngsters are antisemitic nowadays.

• 2 months ago

Because Kashmir is an ancient Indian territory Pakistani Muslims cause the most terrorist crimes in Kashmir and always provoke India

Muslims are actually the aliens in Kashmir not Hindus 

And we all  know how much Hindus suffers under Islam

• ...Show all comments
    • Sofia2 months agoReport

Robert the robot is back!!!  It is not racism dear machine IT IS THE REALITY AND TRUTH THAT HURTS YOU!!! 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

In Kashmir the population made a referendum and separated from a legitimate country like India, of course India refused the separation and oppressing the population, while In Palestine, another entity came from all over the world and invaded a weak population and government, created a "new history" to give themselves legitimacy, transferred more than 80% of the land owners to the neighbor countries.

Kashmir are only Muslims, Palestinians are 50% Muslims and 50% Christians.

I am not trying to trivialize the Kashmir case but only answering your question.

• 2 months ago

Because of the real holocost dude!

Most of them are wearing t-shirts like these

Attachment image
    • 2 months agoReport

Jews are all evil

• 2 months ago

One is highly publicised and well known and the other is not. 

Do the math.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Young people where? Why do you think they are aware of the complexities of the Kashmir region?

• Local Machine
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Them young jews all they do is memorizing the Protocols at these Yersheeves

• 2 months ago

The Palestinians have a much better PR/propaganda program than the Kashmiri do, that's why. Why do you post anonymously?

• Zany
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

I think the US has a President with the same single minded ADHD problem. One day, one thought.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.