Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 2 months ago

In baseball can the guy running home take out the catcher ?

I believe I once seen Bryce Harper take out the Miami Marlins catcher about 4 or 5 seasons back. Like he totally leveled him. 

10 Answers

Relevance
  • fcas80
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Yes, although only when the catcher is blocking the plate.  Otherwise it will be considered unsportsmanlike conduct.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

watch youtube for peter rose taking out some catchers or how thurman Munson used to get  slammed or Carlton fisk those where the days

Source(s): me
  • 2 months ago

under the old rules, you could tackle the catcher but if he held on to the ball the runner is out. Now a days you can't intentionally make contact, and its up to the umpires to decide if the contact was deliberate and enough to break up the play. If it is, both the runner and batter are out. Doing it repeatedly can even get you a suspension these days.

• 2 months ago

The rules were changed after Posey go crushed by Scott Cousins back in 2011. The Philly Phaggot didn't reach the majors until 2012 so you probably remember him hitting his wife.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

There are rules against deliberately taking out a catcher.

• Kathy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It has happened by accident. He cannot not do it on purpose.

• 2 months ago

It used to be legal in professional baseball but several years ago a star catcher suffered an injury (a broken collar bone) and MLB finally realized it was time to change the rule. I admit I don't know all the details of the new rule regarding when & how the catcher can block the plate and what the runner can do, but the big violent collisions are illegal now.

At lower levels such as little league and high school baseball it has always been illegal. Both of these levels have a rule called "slide or avoid" that says a runner must either slide or they must avoid contact with the defender. The defender (catcher) can still be called for obstruction if they are blocking the runner's path without having the ball.

• 2 months ago

It is totally legal for any base runner when the defensive player is blocking the plate they are attempting to advance to.

• ...Show all comments
    • David B.
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Coffee Drinker; I should have mentioned the fact that if the defensive player has possession of the ball it isn't legal and at the discretion of the umpire the runner can be called out.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In 2014 MLB implemented new rules to reduce collisions but they can still happen. If the catcher has the ball he is allowed to block access to home plate - this can result in a collision. If the catcher does not have the ball and is not blocking the plate then the runner can be called out if he makes contact with the catcher. 

Before the rule change catchers almost always blocked the plate before they had the ball which resulted in many collisions. 

• 2 months ago

Only if the catcher is blocking home plate.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.