Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 5 months ago

Am I bad person for being embarrassed of my last name?

I live in England and consider myself a full Brit. I have an Italian Last name my Father told me his Grandfather told him that his Grandfathers Granddathet was an Italian immigrant. So that would be my Great Great Great Great Great (5 Greats) That Italian in my DNA is rather minuscule but because of my last name people are going

to associate me with Italians

Not really.  If the royal family followed the same rules as everyone else, then their last name would be 

Glücksburg, the house of Prince Philip's father.  Mountbatten is actually a rough translation of his mother's maiden name, which was originally Battenberg; her parents changed their name from Battenberg to Mountbatten because Germany was an enemy of Britain.  And the House of Windsor was originally the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, but changed it's name for the same reason.

Since the Royal family found German names too embarrassing to use, you shouldn't feel bad for being embarrassed by an Italian name.

Being embarrassed is neither bad nor good.  It is just how you feel. There is no reason to be embarrassed about the ethnic heritage of your last name whether it is Italian, Polish, Norwegian, Japanese or English. Your last name is part of your family history but it doesn't define who you are or what nation or culture you identify with.  There are VERY British people. who's ancestors can from India or Kenya and there are very Anglo-Saxon people with a tiny bit of something else that don't see themselves as British at all.  

If you hate your name -- go to court and change it. 

The only reason to be embarrassed about your last name is if it's weird or the name is synonymous with someone who did bad things. It's not like last names even mean much in modern times, unless it's something specific like "Rothschild". Unless your last name carries that much weight for the wrong reasons, then change it. If not... what's the worst that will happen? Someone expects you to know how to make authentic Italian pasta? Not that bad of an association if you ask me.

Having an Italian surname shouldn't be a big deal in England. Your country is full of weird surnames like Cumberbatch, Dankworth, Pigg, Onion and Bottom. 

You sound like an OK person but generally I don’t like Italians. My ex-wife had Italian blood on both sides. Southern Italian I think. Really really bad news. As a matter fact most of the Italian people I’ve met seem to have a criminal mentality. They are really not cool people to be around. The not well-educated or cultured lower class ones anyway Which seem to be the ones I keep running into.It’s weird but they really do seem to have that mafia criminal kind of mentality. I’ve lost a lot of money to a few of these individuals. I completely stay away from them now. I learned my lesson the hard way. My ex-wife alone was brutal. Wasn’t content to just get the divorce, had to try to totally destroy me afterwards, Financially and in every other way.

You're not a 'bad person' but you're certainly very silly. There are thousands of people in the UK with Italian surnames. Maybe you should move to Scotland: names like Nardini and Benedetti are highly respected here.

I wonder what is important last name or personality.

You are a definitely true Brit, a snob, foolish and bloody rude.  Shame on you!

Brits think they are so upperdy... You are not bad but your thoughts are.

Never never look down on any race, religion or color. It's 2020, grow up...

• Zirp

meh

There is no such thing as "Italian in my DNA", and there is no guarantee that you have any chromosome from your greatgreatgreatgreatgreatgrandfather.

If your last-name bothers you, change it to one that isn't in use yet

• Ludwig

Nobody is that great.

• Orla

Nobody cares.  Why do you ? Get on with your life. Help people.