Is there a way to connect my computer to my router which is in a another room without wifi?

I need Ethernet connection for a new job, but my computer is in a completely different room then my computer. Im not sure on putting the cable through the walls as I rent the place. Can someone help my?

You need a really really LONG ethernet cable. Measure how many feet it is; you can find them on Amazon. You'll have to run it along baseboards and around corners. That's what I have to do. 

• John

How many feet? Use irda. You but irda sensors as many as you need to go the distance.which is two if you are same floor.

Try the laser finder type.use reflectors to go around corners.

Use 2 Power Line adapters.First adapter you plug into electrical outlet by your router and connect adapter with router with ethernet cable.Second adapter you plug into electrical outlet by computer and connect computer with adapter with ethernet cable..I have been using these adapters for home network for approximately 10 years,never had problems,

Power line adapter - link belowI .

• BEN k

I am doing the power line thing but the adapters can get very hot as they are on 24.7 a long Ethernet cable would also work cat6 to be safe

Source(s): I am doing the power line thing but the adapters can get very hot as they are on 24.7 a long Ethernet cable would also work cat6 to be safe
    • John

You also bothering your neighbors with noise. You got a name and address?

call the landlord explain to them get a ok in writing 

hire a licensed contractor to PROPERLY run the wire ,, this increase the value of the rental IF DONE CORRECTLY and gives you what you need 

this will cost about $250.00 and $150.00 per additional drop

I am both a landlord and a I.T. prehensile tech 

in my rentals I upgrade to cat6 and coaxial in every wall in every room 

to a central router area -- even in my $500.00 per month places

I mount Digital tv antennas too to save renters the cost of satellite or cable TV 

IF you surface mount it will be take out of your deposit on move out 

I also will no longer allow cable or satellite people to install in my places without my supervision and approval

• Anton

Trivial.  I cannot tell how to run a connection until I physically see it., too many options.  How to run depends on house vs apartment, age of building, etc..

If telephone wiring is newer than 20 years old, you can probably rewire two jacks into a point-to-point Ethernet connection. You only need a 3/8" hole through the wall, easy to patch for when you leave. You can fish flat Ethernet cable under your carpet.

FYI, WiFi and power adapters share their connection with your neighbors.

There might be enough space underneath the doors to run the cable that way. {Or never shut the doors tightly.}

• Nancy

Your choices are wi-fi or a hardline connection with an ethernet cable. You don't have to go through a wall. Ethernet cables can be very long. You could just run the cable along the floor from your computer to the router in the other room. If you don't like the cable cutting through all those rooms, you could unplug it from the router and gather up the cord into the room where you have your computer like you would if you used a really long extension cord for a tool or would if you were using a vacuum cleaner with a really long cord.

If that's unacceptable, you're S.O.L. You're going to have to decide what's really important-- that job, your rent deposit, or not having an ugly cord running between rooms. Of course, you could just move your computer to your router.

Also, I noticed you said an ethernet connection is required, but you can get an ethernet connection via wi-fi. When your wi-fi router is connected to an ethernet source, like cable or satellite, it's still an ethernet connection. You would have to be running a lot of bandwidth for your wi-fi connection to that ethernet source to be insufficience. I mean, consider the fact that people regularly stream bandwidth hogs like 1080p and 4K shows wirelessly to their ethernet sources. I find it hard to believe that what your job will require will require more than that. But maybe it does. If it does, then you won't have a choice but to do a hardline. I'm seriously doubting it will come to that, though. You'd have to be doing some extremely intense computing for that to be the case.

• Frank2 months agoReport

Thanks for the info, I assumed that WiFi would be enough but my employer said they want the computer actually connected with a wire. 

• Mark

(Your words):  your computer is in another room "then" your computer?

If the computer is wi-fi-capable, that's what wireless routers are for.  My bedroom is in a different room AND different floor