On the freeway, is it best to look in your mirror when you change lanes or look over your shoulder?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

both         .

• 5 months ago

It kind of depends where you can see into the blind spot--usually that is the mirror because all cars now have blind-spot mirrors where you might not see something by merely looking over your shoulder. Make sure if you turn your head that you can 

ALSO see into your blind-spot by using the mirror. A car coming from behind in that spot would be too close to swerve or stop to avoid a crash if you didn't. 

• Kaz
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Both.  I glance in my side view mirror, and then look over my shoulder to make sure it's clear.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Both.  Just as it says in your Drivers Training Manual for potential drivers that need to know the RULES OF THE ROAD.     A motorcycle could zip up there and be in your blind spot and it is your fault if you hit him.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Both.

It's amazing how an entire car/truck can hide in your vehicles blind spot - but it happens.  Check the mirror first, then glance back (quickly) before turning or changing lanes.

There are a few ways to reduce the risk of someone hiding in your blind spot.  Make sure your seat is in the right position, and your mirrors are adjusted properly.  Maybe consider installing those little stick-on convex mirrors that give you a more 'wide angle' view.

A lot of modern vehicles have sensors built into them that detect vehicles in the blind spot and turn on a light on your rear-view mirror to let you know someone is there.

When I drive, I try to be aware of all traffic around me - but even then, someone can easily slip into my blind spot unnoticed.

• 5 months ago

You need to do both.  A shoulder check only covers your mirrors' blind spots, and the mirror covers everything else.

• 5 months ago

For safety, I do both.

• 5 months ago

Both .................

• 5 months ago

you look in your mirrors BEFORE you change lanes ..then look again 

• 5 months ago

Mirror, just be careful. And use both the rear-view and side-view. I usually let the next car coming pass me before I turn if there's much traffic.  For some reason they taught me to look over my shoulder when I was learning to drive and it took me a while to figure out that's not really a good idea.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.