Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceAnthropology · 2 months ago

Why don't we live like our early ancestors?

I know life would be more harder to survive but I also think we would actually be better off if we did. I do think modern day humans have actually kinda been worse than our early ancestors. I do think that humans think too highly of themselves if we did live like our early ancestors we would be equal to other creatures because we would actually live to survive like most animals. I also think hunting styles of our early ancestors had much more control also. And looking at other primates they actually care more about their own groups than actual humans do. I actually don't like humans influence on sociaty on how we are more like care for yourself and caring for ourselves and not others. It's kinda like why did we ever think this was better?

I've actually walked 5 miles to a gas station and when I went to get my High School diploma I walked 5 miles to school and 5 miles back so I know how walking far distance is. Which just makes me think man if we didn't have cars and just walk we would have appreciation for actually doing what we were design for. Yeah walking that distance is hard but I have experience it.

But foot protection I think could still be possible.

The hippies of the 1960s &1970s did this. I was part of that for a while. Yeah it was fun cor a time. But mostly a lot of hard work.

Though a lot less mental stress and worry about money.

Source(s): Traditional societies like Samoa and Tahiti seem happier and less mental stress, form what I study.
  • Hello, i add, a god created everything for justification but not futility, thus the new things are in addition the the old things but not instead of it, where everything is similar and differ and deserve absolutely at a same time of any another things, thus the person choose what appropriate him, thus a person can live as the old, or as the modern, or as the future persons optionally as what he/she.. desire and appropriate him/her.. e.g. the old has astrology and the modern has devices and the future has computer.. thus a person choose as what appropriate him/her..

Society has developed beyond the hunting gathering phase of human need.  Humans, it appears have never though to themselves as equal to other creatures, or they would not have hunter them for food and clothing.  Like you I have walked rather long distances and even help track a wounded deer once while on a hunting trip.

There's growing evidence much of our current lifestyle is very unhealthy for us and has less to many psychological illnesses. Less interaction with dirt and exposure to sun, stress from unnatural sources (i.e. traffic jams and bosses you, for the most part, can't confront even if they're antagonistic), processed food, staring at blue lights at night, hunched over in a cubicle all day barely moving, the list goes on. Unfortunately, it seems to be getting worse with the digital age.

The good thing is there still is that power to regain some of our natural lifestyles. Gardening, jogging, cooking more "organically," etc.

Sounds like fun.  So I tried it.  Got out of my car in a swampy area in the middle of the night.  Was determined to run off and be with nature for awhile.  Until the mosquitos found me.  So much for nature.  Got back in my car and continued to think about it.  That is about all.  But it was fun for a moment. 

I believe that your wish is partially going to come true due to the Coronavirus. I think that we will have to shed many of the things that have been nonessential for a long time.

The good news is that we should be able to retain all the good technological discoveries, which help and don't harm humanity. Hopefully we can rid ourselves of polluting mega agricultural practises and go back to having many more farmers practising holistic, organic farming. Less asphalt and cement and more green spaces. We truly have an opportunity to become a more connected and integrated population.

Humans were hunter-gatherers until about 10,000 years ago, when we invented agriculture. Agriculture makes food more abundant. In fact, most living humans do not even have to work on a farm or go hunting and gathering food daily.

The abundance of food has resulted in a division of labor and made possible schools and universities. People can make a living doing a lot of different things, including being scientists, doctors, musicians, craftsmen, and athletes. If not for agriculture, we would not have automobiles or motorboats, let alone airplanes. 

The modern world is not perfect and there is a lot of room for improvement, but I would definitely not dream about living as a hunter-gatherer.

Ditching the car and opting for cycling, running or walking won't just help the environment, exercise helps our bodies stay strong.  If you also eat a varied diet of meat, fish, veggies, seeds, legumes, nuts etc your likely to stay healthy too.  I'm in my early 50's and never learned to drive, partly because of the impact on our Environment (pollution) and partly because I didn't want to become a fat & unhealthy slob.  Most people seem to be too lazy and can't appreciate our planet or it's other occupants, change.

Yeah you think like that until you have to walk on rocky ground with your bare feet, you get cuts on your feet, then you walk into some dirty water, get an infection, and die.