What's the best sleep schedule for a night shift?

I'm starting a job where I will work 1 am to 5 am every day of the week. What is the best way for me to arrange my sleep schedule? All of my friends and family work day shifts and sleep at night like normal people, so I don't want to end up only having human interaction for a couple of hours each day. What is the best way for me to maximize regular human waking hours while also getting a good amount of sleep? Should I go to bed in the afternoon and start my day around midnight? Or should I go to bed when I get home from my shift and sleep until the afternoon? Or should I go to bed at me normal time (10), sleep for a few hours until midnight and then take naps throughout the day? 

Favorite Answer

To properly function, you need about 8 hours of sleep per day-

My advice would be, get to bed around 6 am, and aim to be up for 2pm! This gives you 8 hours of sleep, and you can still interact with your friend/family for a few hours, before getting ready to go to work.

There is no best way. I've been working a night shift for two years and you never get used to it. As far as I can tell, it's not possible to change your circadian rhythm. What you can do is learn to deal with the depression that is eventual. Try to stay one step ahead of it.