Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesHonda · 2 months ago

Thoughts on Honda’s CVT transmissions? ?

I’m thinking about getting next years Honda 2021 Civic Sport Sedan. It’s most likely going to have a CVT transmission. What are your thoughts on CVT transmissions made specifically from Honda? 

I agree with TheBax2006, but add to support; $7-9K to replace a CVT transmission that is less reliable than a traditional automatic transmission which will cost between 1/3 to 1/2 the cost to replace on average. Some can cost as much, but not many by comparison. CVTs do offer better mpgs, and they are faster in many cases, but they generally don't last as long. 

• Erik

I've never had one, but I've had transmission problems with almost every vehicle I've owned.  They're always super expensive, so why get one that if there is a problem, it's even more expensive?

• g

I bought a 2020 Civic EX, which is equipped with CVT, about 6 months ago.

I am very please with the performance and smoothness of the transmission.  I have no negative comments on it's quality or integrity.  It is solid!

• bo

Honda's are better than the Nissan's cvt's but you have to keep up on the transmission service intervals 

Source(s): transmission man

From 2016 and newer Honda fixed most of the major problems with their CVT transmissions.  What you need to be careful with is their Turbo Charged GDI engines.  These engines are having a lot of problems with oil dilution.  That’s where the fuel is forced into the crankcase and it dilutes the oil and causes extreme wear in the internal engine parts.  The 2.0 4 cyl Non-Turbo is really a much better engine for longevity and durability than the 1.5 Turbo GDI engine.  

I don't care for CVT transmissions. You'll have a hard time finding a vehicle without them. I tell my friends and customers that the Toyota RAV 4 is the only vehicle I ow of that doesn't have a CVT tranny and most of them bought the RAV 4 anf love it.

If you do buy a vehicle with the CVT transmission make sure you go to the dealer every 60,000 miles for a Transmission service.That way there will be records of proper maintenance and you'll be able to get a customer goodwill warranty to replace the tranny.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

Three pedals for the win!  Long live the manual transmission.

Spam.  Please report.