Lisa asked in TravelUnited StatesLos Angeles · 8 months ago

How likely is it that a major earthquake will happen in Ventura, California?

We are moving to Ventura, CA for my husband's job next week and I'm worried about earthquakes. I've never been to California before. Is Ventura a place that would see a lot of earthquakes? Please, serious answers only.

I have lived in California my whole life. Earthquakes are rare and are normally over quick. Everyone talks about "the big one" coming soon but they have been saying that for years. The earthquakes in Southern California have been pretty chill the past 3 decades. (Fingers crossed)

I know friends who had property damage due to larger earthquakes but it is very rare for people to be injured in one.

• Foofa

It's likely that at some point this entire region will be affected by a major quake. We can't tell you exactly when or where, but the entire Pacific Rim is seismically unstable. We experience many many tiny quakes all the time.

• ?

Earthquakes  happen. The next one in that area is scheduled to be ....... NO ONE KNOWS

It can be lots of small ones or a big one they happen. You plan ahead by doing certain things to earthquake proof your residence. Having your packed bug out bag ready to go and so on.

Ventura has had: (M1.5 or greater)    0 earthquakes in the past 24 hours    1 earthquake in the past 7 days    22 earthquakes in the past 30 days    226 earthquakes in the past 365 daysAre you a walking seismometer? Probably not. Most will not feel the small ones.

As you just have a WEEK to decide may want to consider things other than earthquakes for your immediate attention.

Many want to know about crime rates, fire hazards and other more common things that happen.

Will you pack winter clothes too it did snow in the area back in the 1960's.

The experts have long agreed that California is overdue for a major quake but it's not something that can be predicted with absolute certainty.  The Los Angeles area gets several noticeable quakes a month but these are just little short shakes and a significant quake a few times a year where you know it's a quake but there won't be any damage.  Obviously, most people don't worry about it since California is the most populated state in the US.