Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsHockey · 2 months ago

If the 90-91 Whalers played with everyone at peak form, would Zalapski, Cunneyworth, Dineen, Ferraro, Daryl Reaugh and Babych be the stars?

1. Zarley Zalapski was always a steady player throughout his NHL career. Never posted outstanding stats, but was fairly consistent throughout.

2. Randy Cunneyworth's +13 on a Pittsburgh Penguins team that gave up well over 300 goals and missed the playoffs in 87-88 (even though they had more points than some of the teams that made the playoffs that year). Pretty solid, reliable player.

3. I always liked Kevin Dineen's style of play. Always gave 100 percent and always led by example. If the 90-91 Whalers didn't have him on their roster, they'd probably would have finished lower down the standings and possibly out of the playoffs.

4. Very smooth player with a deadly shot and above average playmaking skill. If you look at his stats throughout, they are fairly consistent. Ray Ferraro just knew how to score.

5. This was a tough one to pick, as none of the 3 goalers here were even remotely considered serious Vezina candidates. But if I had to pick one goalie for the award, I will give it to Daryl Reaugh just because his 90-91 stats were far better than his two colleagues who shared the nets with him that year. Funnily enough, he never played another minute in the NHL after this season. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done if he got a legit shot as a starting goaltender.

6. Dave Babych would also win the hardest shot competition as well as All-Star Game MVP. Babych had a bomb of a shot.

Update:

7. Almost forgot. Pat Verbeek was an absolute nuisance to play against, and I feel he would drive the Minnesota North Stars players to complete and total distraction, making them take costly penalties, thus enabling the Whalers to use their point men in Zalapski and Babych to deliver bombs from the point on the PP to score several key goals, and giving Hartford their first championship since the glory days of the WHA.

There are no answers yet.
Be the first to answer this question.