Can a bad amplifier burn your speaker.?

Update:

I bought 4 brand new speakers and ran 2 speakers to 1 of the 2 channel . Not sure if the amp was working but came on without no audio and then i stared to smell a burnt odor. 2 speakers was damage . knowing they were new is it possible for the amp to damage it. It took 3 seconds of some crackling noise and that was it.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes, a  faulty amp can damage speakers, but a good amp will often have circuitry designed to limit output current. The answer that suggested a short in the output is partly true, if output transistors/valves have a short, the output voltage may be too high, or it may be DC instead of  AC, and this can fry speakers.  If the output terminals are shorted the amp can't deliver any current to a speaker. Other answers have correctly stated that user error and an under-powered amp are common causes of speaker failure.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Tony B
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I guess a faulty amp could cause damage to speakers but I think it would need to be a pretty serious and unusual fault to actually burn speakers.

It's far more likely that they speakers were connected wrongly to the amp or that they could not handle the output of the amp.

• 1 month ago

Yes, that is possible,

but the main cause of burned-up speakers is User Error.

If it sounds bad, reduce the volume until it sounds good,

and Don't turn it back up.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, if the amp is not powerful enough and you turn the volume too high, then it can produce square waves or a lot of distortion, and the tweeter's voice coil can overheat and burn. Many expensive speakers come with tweeters with voice coils that are liquid cooled for his reason.

Try not to turn the volume dial of the amplifier past the 12 o'clock position and if you hear distortion, then immediately turn the volume dial down. Another way an amp can damage speakers is if it produces too much clean power and it moves the woofer cone too far forward and the voice coil moves out of its position within the speaker or it can damage the foam surrounding the outer edge of the woofer. In your case I think it is not enough power and too much distortion from the amp. Or perhaps the amp simply died for whatever reason and the smoke comes from the amp. Try another amp and see if you can get sound out of the speakers. If the speakers are damaged then you will hear distorted sound from the speakers.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, if the output stage shorts it can send large amounts of current into the speakers. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.