Can a diabetic eat pancakes with a little jelly?

• 1 week ago

Yes if you cover the carbohydrates with your medication.

• ron h

Jelly on pancakes?  Sounds terrible. 

I am a diabetic. I eat whatever I want--BUT--and here's the important part of this--I eat things I know will spike my blood sugar ONLY occasionally, and in SMALL quantities. And I make absolutely sure I have a protein with whatever carbs I'm eating. My blood sugar is under control. 

If your blood sugar is not under control, or your A1C is higher than it should be, you need to try to avoid processed carbs and sugar (like jelly) as much as you can until it IS.  Also--there are sugar-free jellies out there. That would help somewhat. 

But the pancakes--I don't know. You'll have to make that call. And take whatever risk there is. A single pancake? Sugar free jelly? Eaten with an egg? Or a glass of milk? Might be okay--take your reading within 2 hours after you eat and see how high it makes your glucose go. If it goes way high, then you'll know this wasn't a good idea. If it stays within your range, then you'll know you can get away with it--this time. 

Pancakes (plural) and lots of sugary jelly? Never a good plan. Seriously. And you know it isn't if you've had any counseling or nutrition information. You know you need a higher-protein diet, rich in vegetables, lower in calories, lower in processed flours, grains and starches. So CAN is a very loaded question. What you CAN do is talk to your doctor, keep a log of the food you eat, take your readings frequently to find out how the food you eat is affecting your illness, and keep trying to control it. 

The occasional sweet or treat is not always bad--but it really depends on where you are to begin with. 

• Shay

You certainly shouldn't be doing it every day.  And you shouldn't do it on a day when your levels are already running higher than they should be.

If you want them sometimes, then work out your daily carbohydrates to offset the big spike that a pancake will give you.  Basically - avoid bread and pasta and make the rest of  your meals centered around meat and low carb vegetables on a day  you want to eat a pancake.

A diabetic can eat almost anything if they watch portion size and don't eat all the wrong things on the same day.  Daily carbohydrate and sugar totals are the biggest issue.  A pancake uses up a fairly large portion of a daily allowance for both.  

IF you compensate for the large amount of carbs in pancakes, by increasing your insulin, or by exercising more, THEN, you might be okay eating those pancakes

The carbs in the jelly are probably a lot less than in a stack of pancakes, so that is not the main concern.

No, have and egg and some bacon, much better for you in the long run.

• audrey

They make sugar free jelly. Not bad either!

Probably not, since pancakes are carbs turning to sugar, and obviously jelly is essentially flavored sugar. Protein is best

ONLY if you want your blood glucose levels to rise, sir.

Edit: It appears I've upset someone that knows ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about the effects that carbohydrates have on blood sugar (glucose) levels.

You need to eat things in moderation. i.e. smaller quantities ... unless you're going to undertake some hard, physical exercise.

• Phil

one or two once in a blue moon should be ok. as long as you take your diabetic meds after eating them.

I guess it depends on your current BSL readings.