Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 3 months ago

So... Are Hobbits simpletons?

Maybe it's just me, but I pick up on a bit of slow-wittedness from these short shire folk. I don't mean to confuse more simplistic and humble lifestyles with a simplistic brain - Diogenes is my favorite Greek philosopher. But Hobbits carry an almost inexcusable naivete, immaturity and childlike disposition. I can't help but wonder if they're meant to be seen as being a few rungs lower on the intelligence spectrum than humans, elves or dwarves...

Like a lot of modern 12 year olds they like to drink lots of beer, smoke piped tobacco dance on tables when drunk and sing folk songs.

Source(s): The lord of the rings, book.

the"hobbits" are most certainly the instrument of discovery and the most informative tool of the series.

• Andrew

Apparently you formed this opinion over the course of making your way through Tolkien's works, so you must have several examples you can point to. Care to share a few? 

You sound like one of those people whose measure for everything is him or herself (for some bizarre reason you were compelled to go anonymous to ask this question, so I don't and can't know which it is.)

Are the Aborigines of Australia "simple" because they didn't erect skyscrapers and blast subway tunnels and devise a system where everyone needs to file their taxes once a year? Let's see YOU survive in that inhospitable environment - 40° at 10AM, relentless sun, featureless landscape completely devoid of landmarks to show the way, let's see YOU find water, scrounge up something to eat, and manage to make it through a 24 hour stretch away from the comforts of civilisation and everything you know. My money is on you being dead of a snakebite or dehydration within the span of the first 8 hours. 

The hobbits are the heroes of the story. There are many heroes, but they are most instrumental to the final victory of good over evil. They may be simple folk, naive and unrefined and unsophisticated, but that hardly makes them stupid. 

Unless you can point to a number of specific examples you're likely just going to receive one dismissive reply after the other. 

Don't forget that Tolkein was a devout Christian, and he would have been well aware of the Biblical saying "Unless you become as little children, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven". It may be that he wanted to present childish simplicity as a virtue. 

Naive isn't the same as 'simple'.

• Tina

No, they don't come over as slow witted. Where are you getting this from?

• Lomax

Well Bilbo was renowned - even in Rivendell - as an intellectual heavyweight.

But if building a peaceful society, where violent crime is unknown, and where the majority of the citizens are contented with their lot can be classified as Simple, then yes.

I do wonder what you mean by 'an almost inexcusable naivete'. 'Inexcusable'? Why should they be 'excused'?

Clearly many of the hobbits in general were shown as slow to accept new ideas. That doesn't make them simpletons.I think you should read the books again.

• Bob

But they bow to no-one.

They're quintessentially southern English.  You're bringing your own baggage to the party.