Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicCountry · 2 months ago

Is this where Johnny Cash got his inspiration for “Man in Black”?

“In 1954, Johnny Cash married Vivian Liberto at St Ann's Catholic Church in Memphis.”

“Well, you wonder why I always dress in black,

Why you never see bright colors on my back,And why does my appearance seem to have a somber tone.Well, there's a reason for the things that I have on.I wear the black for the poor and the beaten down,Livin' in the hopeless, hungry side of town,I wear it for the prisoner who has long paid for his crime,But is there because he's a victim of the times.I wear the black for those who never read,Or listened to the words that Jesus said,About the road to happiness through love and charity”Johnny got the idea from priests wearing black. The man up front wearing black

Actually the idea for wearing black came from the early days, when he and the Tennessee Two were starting out. The only common color that they all had was black. Also black clothing doesn't show dirt, as does many other colors. Which meant that on the road, if they couldn't get to a laundry  to do their clothes, they could still go on stage, dressed in black outfits, and if any spilled something like coffee, or even a bit of ketchup on themselves, it wouldn't show on their clothing while they were onstage performing. The inspiration for the song woulds come several years later.

Maybe. But you wouldn't be able to conclusively determine that from those lyrics.