Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceDream Interpretation · 2 months ago

By 17, what is the average person supposed to have accomplished?

I feel like I missed out on "living the teenage dream." Most of my friends and people I know have been going to all these parties and having sex and vaping and stuff. Will I hate myself for having kinda a boring teenagehood in the future?

when I was 17, I went to UCLA and learned about the university life for 3 weeks.   I made so many friends and I played basketball with the UCLA varsity team.   wasnt that an accomplishment?   YES!

I got my first date at 23, got my first job at 24..... finished college at 25.....  at 17, just enjoy life.

The "teenage dream" is scam honey. Most of the exciting experiences and fun will actually begin in college or early twenties so don't stress about that and just do you :)

I'm 17, too. I have not gone to a single party. I've never had a boyfriend :( . I've never tried drinking or vaping. Some of my friends have done this, others are more like me. I actually haven't had a bad teenage life so far. Yes, I wish my crush liked me back (like my friend's does) and talked every night. Yes I kinda want to have sex or go to a party, but I know it will happen at some point, and if it doesn't, I'll still find other ways to make myself happy by focusing on the stuff I HAVE done. In some ways, I'm glad I  haven't grown up too fast just yet.

• Nick

Graduate from high school.

Buy your first car

Find a part-time summer job

Try alcohol, if you haven't already

Kiss your girl/boyfriend for the first time

You are who you are. Each person is amazing and unique. I believe you are amazing. I believe you have made all the right choices by avoiding certain environments and listening to your own inner guidance. The may appear to be having fun by seeking external stimulation. However, you joy comes from within. It's only truly amazing people that can be happy with themselves. Many years from now, you will still be happy, but they will likely wear themselves out and get lost seeking happiness in the wrong places. Please don't allow others to influence who you are. Be strong and courageous in preserving who you are. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Meditations for the Journey by C. Mohan

I think that it is a very personal thing, as we are not all made out of cookie cutter dough.  Some people lean toward the study of sciences, and others lean toward the study of the arts.  You can't make it so cut and dry.  But I would hope that one would be on the brink of finishing high school, or have one more grade to go.  Some teens want to go onto college right away, and others want to see the world, or get started early in a beloved enterprise. .But one would hope that by the end of the teen years, a certain amount of independence is shown.  With this huge pandemic, who knows what the economy will be like, but if it remains good then some people might start work in a loved profession.  If the years will be unkind to us, then all people will take what job they can find, and be lucky for the wage provided.  

• OTTO

You will realize that you made healthy choices.

The teenage dream that you describe is not so much of a dream as it is a way to ruin their lives. When I was a teen, I didn't drink or smoke or party. I had a steady boyfriend for all of high school but even though I lost my virginity to him, the sex was not really very good and definitely not the stuff dreams are made of. I never slept with anyone else though and I've only been with one other guy who is my current boyfriend of many years.

I worked hard and got good grades; I focused on sports and music too. I was able to travel with my family and I had a good relationship with my parents and siblings. I went to college and have a great career and I'm with a man who is amazing. I don't feel I missed out by not living the dream of getting high and drunk and partying all night.

I knew some people who had the teenhood you describe and they were all used up by the time they graduated college. Someone of them didn't even go to college at all. Being sensible will pay off in the long term. 

• User

- getting at least a part-time job over the Summer

- graduating 10th or 11th grade (depending on your date of birth)

No you will not. Rushing it will make it worst. Watch, most of your friends will get married or have children before they are actually ready and will not be able to accomplish much and if they do accomplish anything it will have had been a struggle. You are doing it right! Cheers to you.