Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceStandards & Testing · 6 months ago

A while ago I took an IQ test and now I got my score back. I scored 90. What does this mean?

Does this mean I’m more intelligent than 90% of the population and highly intelligent?

If you took the WAIS-IV, the middle is 100 and 50% of the people that take that test get 100. The other 50% are spread out more. The test measures folks on four scales, called index scores. Each index score is made up of several subtests. Get the scores on the subtests to understand areas you did well in, so it will help you move toward those realms. The subtests you did not do well in show you your weaknesses, or areas you may be able to improve in or compensate for. Generally, you use your strengths to help with your weaknesses. The IQ test is mean for this type of purpose. Your score is considered in the lower end of the normal range. 

Source(s): I have a doctorate in clinical psychology

As I remember, the I.Q. or "Intelligence Quotient" is calculated by giving a challenging test to a group of people, and then an average score is derived. Once the average score is known then your personal score is divided by the average score and then multiplied by 100. So if your personal score is the same as the average score, then your score divided by the average score would be 1.0, which when multiplied by 100 yields an I.Q. of 100, which is average. So the higher or lower your personal score is, compared to the average, generally will give you an I.Q. value ranging from 0 to 200, as a general rule. The standard I.Q. scale is a "bell curve" with a standard deviation of ~15 IQ points. An I.Q. score of 90 is slightly below average. But the only thing that an I.Q. test measures is your ability to accomplish an I.Q. test, nothing more. 

It means nothing. IQ is outdated. It never really meant anything. And if you took an online IQ test, those have no validity . They're more like games or buzzfeed quizzes.

It means you beat Forest Gump.

It means you have average intelligence. This is NOT something to be stressed about. Thomas Edison and Richard Feynman both had average IQ's. Other people have no reason to make fun of or harass you, because you are just like them. So enjoy life and stay positive =D.

Source(s): Google and My Experience =D

It's impossible to tell you what it means because IQ scores are all based on different scales, depending on the test you took. One scale may put you at 130--one may put you at 38. Since you didn't say which test you took, no one can tell you what it means. 

Also--scores on IQ tests are not necessarily indicative of intelligence--they are USUALLY indicative of reasoning ability. Although higher-intelligence people often (note the word OFTEN--not ALWAYS) score better in reasoning ability, they don't always--so once again, an IQ score is pretty much subjective and for most people, in every day life, useless. It doesn't indicate how successful you'll be, or how rich, or how much common sense you have. 

And by the way--I AM Mensa material. But so what? All it means is I scored well on their entrance exams. Other than that, it's not worth much. 

• JB

It means you have an average intelligence.  You can safely ignore anyone who answered hatefully as they are not exactly Mensa material either. :)

The line for retardation is like 60 or 70 so youre a little smarter than a retard

It means you have slightly less than average intelligence. The average is 100.

• IOM

The average IQ is 100.