Blood sugar 212 and not diabetic? ?

At dinner my sister did her blood sugar then my mom, aunt and I did ours to see what they were . Mine was 212 which is high I guess for a non diabetic. I did have two sodas a sprite and a root beer , then I ate dinner and had Rice Krispies for desert . I am also on hydroxycut black which is loaded with caffeine.... also have had an ovary removed due to a cyst not to long ago. Are these the reasons for my high blood sugar ? Should I be worried ? I’m average weight and 24 . No symptoms other than my high sugar ....

• Shay
    Favorite Answer

You didn't mention HOW SOON after eating you did this test.  It takes TIME for the body to bring sugar levels back down after eating.  

Now - the concern is that a non-diabetic person should rarely go over 200 no matter WHEN the reading is taken.  It could indicate a problem.

But - this could also just be an error in the reading too.  Something on your hands or something on the equipment being used could have caused a false reading.

If possible, check your sugar on several more occasions.  Try to make it at times that are less random.  (testing too soon after eating is random because there is no real way to know exactly how high sugar levels will go without knowing exactly what your total carbohydrate load was for the meal and  your body's normal reaction to that load.)

Fasting tests (which is at least 8 hours without carbohydrates of any kind) should be between 70 to 99.

Readings taken TWO HOURS after eating a meal should be below 140.

Any other random reading taken during the day should be between 80 to 120.  (this would NOT include readings taken right after eating)

Drinking two sodas during the meal plus a sugary treat for desert may be the reason for such a high reading.  You can greatly reduce your risks for diabetes just by cutting sugary drinks out of your diet.  

If you continue to get readings that are out of the normal range, you should consider checking with  your doctor to see if you are already pre-diabetic.  

• 1 day ago

212 is definitely  a good reason to see a doctor. It looks like you have diabetes.

Source(s): I was the Chairman of Outreach for the Diabetes Society of the Santa Clara Valley
  • Baal

You are defeating the purpose of using the Hydroxycut for weight loss if you are loading up on carbs with the sugary soda and the Rice Krispies.  Read the labels and see how many calories and carbs you consumed.  You might want to see your doctor for a glucose tolerance test.

• ron h

sometime, go 24 hours w/o soft drinks or a lot of sugar, and test yourself. I dunno what "hydroxycut" is but skip that for 24 hours before you test.

You should test yourself again. Make sure that your hands are freshly washed with soap and dried with a clean towel. Make sure you are testing correctly (I have one meter that you kind of slide the blood drop onto the strip and another that you dip the strip into the blood drop).

If you still have a high reading, I think it would be worth your while to see a doctor. A non-diabetic should not be seeing numbers like that no matter what you ate. Though stress and illness can increase glucose even in non-diabetics. 

Hi Krissy, I am a type 1 diabetic. I found mine out early on by these symptoms now, if you do have diabetes type one or could be on that route, they do have medicine to slow it down if you haven't developed it yet. 

For a few months I had a super dry mouth and would drink 2 bottles in five minutes. I was really fatigued, couldn't focus on driving, and my vision was super dim. I felt numb in my shoulders and neck and I was super hungry. Do you ever get shaky when you are hungry? Is your sister type one or two? I would get this checked out because when I was around 4 years old, my mom checked my blood sugar as she is a type one diabetic for 45 yrs and it was in the 200's. 13yrs later, I am diagnosed a type one. We think it could have been a sign it was brewing for a while, but I would get it checked out. Ask to get your A1C levels checked and if those are normal get a check of your blood to see if you have the cells (can't think of the name) that you have diabetes brewing in you. Also, did you wash your hands before checking your blood sugar? Try exercising, see if you get brought down at all. If you do, you are making some sort of insulin. I would make an appointment or a phone call, either way, to rule it out. Remember, you will be okay, it is just dealing with it earlier is better than later! 

If you consume that much sugar all the time, you probably ARE diabetic. Get to a doctor.

Every time a person's blood glucose levels go over about 140, there is permanent damage being done to their nerves and blood vessels. This is a fact.

• krissy1 month agoReport

I don’t ever drink pop but I went to a family dinner and that’s all they had I don’t usually touch sugar I’m strict with the gym . 

Random blood sugars are hard interpret unless extremely high. You need a fasting to get a number that is meaningful.

Fasting blood sugar should be 100 or less. It's normal to be higher after you've eaten. A1c > 7 or so is diabetes

• micksmixxx
      1 month agoReport

@Connie Convict.  Actually, my friend, an A1c above 6.5% is diabetes.