RN To surgeon ?

If I am a RN with my bachelors, could I go bake to school to become a surgeon? Thanks!!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • fcas80
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Of course.  But you will need the appropriate presequisite courses in bio and chem, and possibly math and physics to get into a med school.  Why not visit your undergraduate career counseling office and get their advice?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jason
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Of course. It won't save you any time on the schooling but it might make you a slightly more competitive applicant.

A bachelor's in nursing won't get you the necessary prerequisites like biochem, organic chemistry, physics, etc that med schools require. So you'll need at least a year or two of classes beyond the BSN to meet the prereqs. But other than that, no, there's nothing stopping you from completing those classes, taking the MCAT, and applying for admission to medical school.

If you're not a nurse already, getting a BSN with the intent to go to medical school is just a waste of time & money. You're much better off with a pre-med major or biology/biochemistry major. Nursing classes don't meet pre-med requirements.

Source(s): Respiratory therapist (B.S., RRT, RPFT) Working on my masters in nursing
  • Judy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Uh, yes, you'd have to go to med school.

• 2 months ago

You might not have all the undergraduate prerequisites to apply for admission to medical school. Nursing often has more practicums, clinical work, and not enough hard sciences & math than required for med school. You must also earn a high score on MCAT exams (above 90th percentile to have any chance of acceptance, preferably above 95th percentile. Do your homework! You have to investigate prerequisites, evaluate your performance to date, what 4 years of med school is going to take (average med student spends over 80 hrs/wk on school, lab work, homework, studying, review sessions, clinical, and more). And expect 4 years of med school to cost $500,000 or more. First year residents (MD + passed all 3 phases of USMLE) earn about $40k-50k these days. You will earn more over the next 6-8 years as a nurse with BSN than you will earn before about Year 8-10 as an MD.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's possible, but extremely rare. Nursing and medicine are two very different paths. If you want to be a doctor, you need more strenuous academics than a nursing degree requires.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.