Robin
Robin asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

why was the STEN gun made in 9mm Luger (9x19) and not a british calibre?

• ?

Basically, there weren't any "British calibre" cartridges which were rimless.  British Forces used the Thompson sub-machine gun in 45 ACP (11.43×23mm) prior to the design and adoption of the first STEN gun. However, 45 ACP was more cartridge than what was needed. 9mm Luger was the obvious remaining choice.

As far as I'm aware, there are no official sources which state the reasoning behind choosing 9mm; however, it does seem like a logical option. Unlike rimmed cartridges, 9mm is rimless and headspaces on the forcing cone inside the chamber. A rimless cartridge is typically going to be more reliable than a rimmed cartridge in semi-auto or automatic firearms, primarily due to the smoothness of feeding. When considering that STENs are open bolt firearms, a rimless cartridge seems only logical. 

Another reason could be in the popularity and usage of other submachine guns at the time (i.e. MP40, MP34, etc.). Germany was the first nation to extensively use submachine guns at the time, and most were chambered in 9mm. STENs were adopted by the British because they wanted a submachine gun in service as soon as possible, after realizing the advantages of them. Therefore, it's logical that they would have wanted to chamber it in something that is tried-and-proven in other submachine guns, rather than going through extensive trials with something they weren't familiar with.

• Russ in NOVA

Yep, by the late 1930s 9mm Luger was a widely used and manufactured caliber for semi-auto pistols and SMGs and had been in use for almost 30 years. Don't forget the Browning Hi power, which had been adopted by the Brits. No reason to reinvent the the wheel.

• BBean

Just a guess because I wasn`t involved. Obviously as Countries` budgets starts to tighten up during wartime they take the most effective way out with the least expense. The 9x19 was a military proven sub machine gun round and already tons of them so why try to develop another round for a budget gun? Just so happens the weapon was an iconic hit.

• Staap It

I am not a fan of full auto capable firearms, BUT that Sten Gun is nice. I like it being a bit slower rate of fire, you do not miss as many shots until you get hits. Last I fired one, The guy who let me use his fired a Ingram, missed 10 shots or so before moving to the target.