Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelCanadaOther - Canada · 1 month ago

Is the Canadian border likely to open for tourists traveling by land by early August?

I planned to visit Vancouver this summer about a year ago and would be really bummed to drive all the way to the border just to get turned back. Does anyone have any info on when the border will open to tourists?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Canadians, especially English ones, tend to be priggish and melodramatic. And part of the border closure is not even virus-related; this gives them an opportunity to permanently close the border because they HATE Americans and don't want them in their country (virus or not).

Oh and Canadians in BC have sticks up their butts, as shown on YA.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I would not bet on it. Don't start driving until you know. You can check the official government websites of any Canadian news outlets - CBC.CA

• 1 month ago

No one knows yet. I wouldn't count on it. The number of active cases is still increasing in both the US and Canada.

• 1 month ago

The US/Canada border is closed to all non-essential travel until June 30th, of course that can and likely will be extended before the cut off date! 

Will it re-open come August? That's a tough question and there's no clear cut answer to it, sorry I know its not what you want to hear, but nobody knows the answer at this point. There is still a lot of active cases on both sides of the border (espically Quebec

and New York), and I don't think either country wants to risk a spike in case by making

it official to re-open the border if thats the situation.

You do realise you can still fly to Vancouver right? Of course, the fly in that ointment is that you would be required to self-quaratine for 14 days upon arrival, which might make your travel a moot point to begin with.

I would keep an eye on the news/official sites for updates, in the interim I wouldn't put any money towards travelling just yet, the last thing you want to do is piss away a ton

of money for nothing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Probably not. The US has a lot more disease than Canada and the second wave is due there. We had some problems in the beginning with covid 19 coming over the border.

• 1 month ago

Maybe, but, not guarantees.  At this point, no-one really knows, or can guess accurately.  I live in the Yukon which has basically cancelled the 2020 tourist season.  That, or the big tour groups who come here have!  BC is very similar.

• 1 month ago

No, no one has that info yet. No one, anywhere.  All anyone knows at this time is that the border is closed until June 21. No doubt a decision will be made in the week or so before that as to whether the closure will be extended or not.

• JuanB
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

100,000 covid deaths in the USA and they are relaxing their own rules and talk endlessly about jump starting the economy....hell no we aren't going to open the borders until the US figures it out.  And that seems unlikely.  

• opurt
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The non-essential travel closure has already been extended by another month until 21 June 2020, and unless the situation in the US starts improving, it's most likely going to get extended again and will keep being extended until things get under control.

All you can really do is check the CBSA website for updates, https://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-eng.html

• 1 month ago

Ok, you have to check with the govt of Canada.  Trudeau said that the boarder will be closed for another month.   If your going to Canada, currently there is a quarantine period of 2 weeks and you have to have a written plan for where you will quarantine for that two weeks as well as how you will supply your own food.   

In the mean time, just keep an eye on the Canadian govt, they will communicate that info in the press.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.