Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 4 months ago

How do i hang blackout curtains without drilling into the concrete?

I can't find any handymen willing to consider hanging curtains without drilling into the concrete, but I'm not allowed to drill into the concrete.

It's a 6 foot wide window. There's 2 curtains and a curtain rod, totaling around 21 lb.

There's like 1/2" or 5/8" of drywall before it hits concrete.

1/2" screws with plugs didn't hold.

Toggle bolts wont work because there isn't any space behind the dry wall for the anchors to snap into place.

I was thinking that perhaps the only way to do it is to use Loctite Premium glue to glue a 1/2" thick board to the dry wall, taping it in place so it can cure for 48 hours before then screwing the curtain brackets through the 1/2" board, and into the 1/2" of drywall. Do you think that will hold well?

Update:

So I guess it would be 4 1" screws holding it in place. 

Update 2:

No, I can't hang it within the window and there's no frame around the window, so yeah, making a frame might be the way.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago

DUCK TAPE... DUck Tape will hold most things.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

There are curtain rods you can hang from the ceiling 

Attachment image
  • 4 months ago

Installing a header like you describe is one way to do it. I think it probably will hold, for a time especially if you can screw it in somehow. 

Rather than hanging curtains from a rod, consider other types of window coverings--removable shutters, for instance. You may be able to find them that fit into the window space without needing screws--spring-loaded. OR you could try using a self-adhesive window film on the glass itself--they make them in just "textures" and without color--which provides plenty of privacy without sacrificing light. 

Another option may be three 2-foot light curtain rods you can hang with Command hooks. If you distribute the 6-foot span into three small 2-foot sections, you're more likely to have success hanging from adhesive hooks. OR you might be able to cut a window frame for fitting INSIDE the window itself, just braced against the sides of the window opening so it will stay, so you can use curtains in that space. 

The spring-tension curtain rods that go from wall to wall are also an option, but a six-footer is a very long one, and they sometimes tend to sag in the middle if they're too long. Two 3-footers would be better, with a brace between them--a block of wood that they can press against. It wouldn't necessarily have to be fastened to the window opening at all--if you can get someone to help you install both rods at once, the tension would hold it. 

One more option: hanging your curtain rods from the ceiling above the window. You would be able to use toggles there. 

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

21 lbs is quite heavy and most shower rods are going to fail. You can get slim adjustable steel props which fit tightly floor to ceiling but look industrial. An inexpensive alternative is to get 2 x 2 timber posts and screw fit shower tray levelling feet either end. That gives about an inch and a half wiggle room to fit the post between the floor and the ceiling and you just tighten off with a spanner.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 months ago

how heavy are these curtains?  use command hooks to hold the rods...they even make them in brass and silver coatings.

• 4 months ago

I would suggest using a spring-loaded shower curtain rod.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Look at photographers poles - they fit floor to ceiling and carry considerable loads (ie photographic backdrop rolls) and come down with no fuss or mess and can look quite stylish. Or speaker poles which do the same sort of thing for a fraction the cost and would fit off the window sill.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Make a timber frame or lining out of 1 inch thick boards that wedges firmly into the window reveal or goes floor to ceiling. Use to support a 3 x 1 board, paint it all to match your decor. Hang the curtains from that. No fixings except to your own timber and you can take it all with you when you move. I could suggest more if you posted a photo.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Have you ever seen SHOWER POLES that simply STICK into position and have a LARGE spring inside them that PUSH out to keep the pole's position? They are typically ADJUSTABLE in length as well (twist adjust) so they fit in different size shower/baths. Take TWO of them and make them fit vertically...and then put a pole between them and hang the curtain on that horizontal pole. No fuss...no muss...no glue...completely removalable with nothing left behind when you leave. If you can't find poles LONG enough...create a couple of 2x4 "knee walls" and mount them on that.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.