Anonymous

Will I lose my Pandemic Unemployment Benefits if I quit a part time job I started after losing my full time job to COVID-19? CA?

I worked in the hospitality industry which came to a halt, I am considering moving back home with family because I will most likely not be able to afford my previous lifestyle and am not relying on PUA long term. My family also needs the financial assistance of me being there in general, my sister is disabled and mentally ill and I am the one who helps her. My mom isn't working and doesn't have a car etc they need me. I did pick up a part time job after losing my full time I'm not sure what happens if I quit this job whether I go or stay.

Does anyone know the rules? I am not collecting unemployment for my part time job, so if I quit will that affect my PUA? Please help I am in a bad spot and not sure what to do.

Normally, if you VOLUNTARILY quit ANY job, then you lose ALL unemployment benefits until you get (and lose) another job. However, if you have "good" enough reason to quit, then it is not always considered "voluntary", so you might be able to keep the benefits.

You are collecting unemployment on all jobs.

When you are claim weekly for unemployment, you need to be including the wages you are earning from your part-time job.  Are you doing that?  If you aren't, you need to correct those claims.  When the company makes their quarterly filing, it will eventually be figured out and you will owe money back, if you didn't include it already.

As for moving home, you should continue to receive benefits.

Remember the extra $600 ends July 25th.  After that there is going to be many more people looking for work. 

• John

You only get unemployment when you become unemployed for reasons out of your control. This is the general rule and it's something to know. You don't get it if you quit your job, only if you are laid off. Or the state says that your office building will remain locked, like with me.

If you quit your job you will be disqualified for partial unemployment benefits.