Mu asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 1 month ago

What is "some aces up your sleeve" I m a English learner, please help me?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

The expression is "an ace up one's sleeve."  It means an advantage no one else knows about.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Rain
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

secret knowledge or a secret skill that will give you an advantage,

you have something that will give you an advantage that other people don't know about.

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

having an ace up your sleeve means that you have a hidden advantage that you can use if you need to. it comes from playing cards. if you hide an ace up your sleeve, you can cheat if you get a bad hand of cards and still win.

• 1 month ago

it's an expression that comes from playing cards. Cheaters would hide Ace cards in their sleeves, so they could slip them down and use them to improve their hand, and therefore cheat.

It now means you have something special piece of information, skill, tool, etc that will be able to help you out of a situation. You could say "I didn't think he'd find a way to finish the job, but he had some aces up his sleeve and he got it finished". It no longer means something negative like cheating.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

"Aces" in this case refers to something that will enable you to win or succeed in a particular situation. "Up your sleeve" means that they are concealed.

• 1 month ago

secret knowledge or a secret skill that will give you an advantage

• 1 month ago

"Card Sharks" cheat at poker by having "aces up their sleeve" where no one can see them. 

It means that nobody else knows it but the guy with the aces knows he will win,

• 1 month ago

it means you have a secret advantage or a trick thats hidden.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.