Can my work force me to travel out of town for work?

When applying on the application it asked if I was willing to travel for work and I marked no. Can they still force to to travel out of town (2hours sometimes more) for work. I live in southern oregon. It is only when ppl call out or quit and is for coverage. But they could also pull other ppl from Other sites.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

You might want to bring this up to HR that your app says no travel. You have a bone to pick here. A good company HR dept. should have picked this up during the interview process. You may be able to get out of the travel now, but why?

• Marvin
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Yup.  Mine forced me to travel all over the world.

• Judy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

they can if you want to keep your job, or can replace you.

• 5 months ago

That's unfortunate but a job's requirements sometimes change and there is nothing you can do about it, unless you quit.  You have that option, or travel to where they need you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Barry
    Lv 6
    5 months ago

I doubt they would employ you if you decline. Bear in mind they are obliged to pay travelling expenses you incur on their behalf.

• Scott
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

No, but if there are applicants willing to travel, you may understand why you don't get the job, or even an interview.

• 5 months ago

If you accept a position that requires travel, they can certainly require you to travel if you are going to remain in that position.  

• n2mama
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They can’t force you, but if they require you to and your refuse they can fire you for it. 

• 5 months ago

They can't make you do anything. You can always quit. 

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

No they cannot force you.

But the employer needs employees who will work at certain locations at certain times.  If you are unwilling or unable to meet the employer's needs, you are not a match for the position and should resign or be terminated.

In other words, the employer is not obligated to accommodate your preferences.  The employer determines the work schedule and work locations based on the needs of the business. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.