Anonymous

I'm a disabled person who loves to do volunteer work. Is this the best way to "pay my debt" to society?

Hi there. I was born with a disability and yes I do receive some sort of welfare but no one will ever hire me because of how I look and walk and because of my Asperger's I'm disgusting. On top of that I'm also retarded (I believe I think) that's why I couldn't pursue my dreams and hobbies

Now I believe in Jesus and am a Christian and I know that one day when he comes back hell heal me and a of my other diseases that I have

I love doing volunteer work btw. As long as it makes others happy it makes me happy too. I hope that by doing so I can somehow "pay my debt" to this world. I know that just being born disabled means you're in great debt don't you think so.

I humbly accept my life and that my parents give me great love and support and even let me live at home.

Do you think it's a good way that I do volunteer work?

• Judith
    Favorite Answer

I admire anyone who does volunteer work.

If you are getting SSI disability or social security disability then you need to start keeping track of the hours you put in volunteering.  Your services have value and if you volunteer enough it is quite possible that it will impact your entitlement if the value of your services equal $1260 a month or more.  It won't impact the amount of your monthly benefit but it will be taken into consideration when they do your next medical reveiw.  There is a question about volunteer work on the form.

So get yourself a notebook and start keeping track.  Show the date you work and how many hours and what you did.  Keep doing it until they do the medical review - and keep doing it afterwards for the next medical review.

You do NOT have to report your volunteer work to social security before then.  You are not committing fraud.

'REAL' WORK VS VOLUNTEER WORK - It upsets me when I see people say that if someone can do volunteer work then they can do "real" work.  No.  Not when they are disabled.  The thing about "real" work is that you have to work at least 5 days a week when your employer wants you to work.  Most disabled people can't do that; they've tried - that's why they get disability.  What is nice about volunteer work is that you don't usually have to commit to anything.  When you feel well you can help.  When you don't feel well, then you stay home - you don't have to worry about losing your job.  Volunteer work allows people who can't hold a job to give to their community; it makes them feel useful - because they still are.  Shame on those who don't seem to know the difference.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

• wait if you do free volenteer work you could loose your ssi even though you need it because you can't get a real job and you can only volenteer because of things the group you volenteer with put up with that jobs won't like you messing up multipule times

I think so. If people won’t pay you for your work it’s better than nothing. This is often the best option for people who are able to do something but not able to commit to paid employment. Or if the quality of work they do isn’t good enough to hold a job.

Aren't you guys 'defrauding' the system? If you can work for free you can work for pay! I've heard this BS about how "but can't keep a job" or "can't work for more than a few hours a week" well are there not part time jobs like that?

". On top of that I'm also retarded " Lies!!! 

Retarded people can't use the computer or spell correctly.  You are commiting federal felony fraud! Apparently if you are disabled you are only supposed to sit in a chair or bed all day and do nothing but eat, sleep, and use the bathroom. 

• Wrong!  You statement that "retarded" people cannot use the computer or spell correctly is wrong. I know many people who have intellectual disabilities who can use a computer well. Spellchecker has been around for decades and they can be taught to use that. Don't assume things.

• I do a lot of volunteer work, too. But it is not to repay a debt to society. It is because I want to make the world a better place, especially for people with disabilities. I don't do it because I will get something in the future, I do it because it makes me feel good now, that I made a difference in someone else life.

Good idea, but wrong attitude.

• Maybe COVID-19 will wake employers up and realize people with disabilities have much to offer and can work from home. The volunteer work I do now I SHOULD paid for. But I'd have to do it from a business office not a home office. Work 9-5. Beg for the accommodations I need, I have at home.  

Theres people with real disabilities struggling in life and here you are acting like a jack@ss. Go outside and get some fresh air you need it.

• fcas80

I think it is terrific that you do volunteer work. If you believe in Jesus, then you should believe that you will be rewarded in heaven.

It is had to say anything about how you look or walk.  I have nothing to comment on.  

Aspergers may hold you back from some careers, but noes not make you unemployable.

From the quality of your writing here, I have my doubts about your mental handicaps.

Given all that though, you seem to have a wonderful attitude.  

I do not believe that you have a 'debt' to pay to society,  but volunteering is a good thing.  For you and the other people

Troll smarter, not harder.