Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 4 months ago

Can I be sued for this?

I have made a lease agreement for a vehicle through a dealership. Unfortunately, the water pump went out and leaded to a gasket head being blown so I sent them the vehicle back and 3 months later, got a $11,100 bill back. The vehicle only sold for $1,800 for auction they had. $11k is the after cost. It was a Dodge Dart 2013.

They will most likely sell  the paper to a collection agency rather than dealing with it themselves, contact a known $100.00 lawyer just to get the lay of the land, try to plead ignorance I:E: (I didn't know this would happen).... make sure you drool in front of the judge and stare off into space.   And my god a Dodge.

lease a 7 yr old car, i learn more everyday

Gotta be more to this story... you don't just "send the vehicle back". Even though it had issues, they're still your responsibility unless the vehicle is under warranty. It doesn't mean you just get to stop paying and walk away. The lender still has to be paid. 

So, yes, your voluntary repossession carries stiff penalties, and you're just now finding this out. This is the time to try and work something out with the lender. If not, they WILL sue you, and win easily. Depending on what state you reside, you can have wages garnished, too. 

So, when it's all done, you have a repo AND a judgment on your credit. 

Since when do they lease used cars?

Read your lease agreement.  

Were you responsible for the maintenance on the vehicle?  

You should have asked them what your options were before returning the car, and before it went to auction.  For that kind of money, you should speak to a lawyer.  

Sure you can be sued.  Will they win?  Does where you live require dealers to be covered by an implied warranty?

It's pretty simple. You owe $11K and you WILL be sued. 

You leased a 2013 car????  And a Dodge too.  You have to pay the bill or you will be sued left and right or a collector will be hounding you forever.

You need to contact a civil attorney and see what they about the case.

Yes you can be sued for that bill because you turned the car in broken down and ended your lease early. You were a dumbass to do that instead of getting it fixed, which was your responsibility. Next time, read your lease agreement more carefully and make sure you understand the vehicle warranty too. EPIC FAIL..