Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesTheater & Acting · 1 month ago

I Am So Depressed that I'm Not an Actress. What Should I Do?

I am suffering from extreme depression due to being 23 and not being an actress, on a TV show, or having a glamorous career.

The sad thing is, I'm SUFFERING. I had anxiety in college and could never force myself to go to auditions or study journalism like I want to.

Now I'm in a boring, horrible career and I can't help but wish I pushed myself so that I could be doing something glamorous like being on a TV show or being a TV news reporter.

Could I still pursue acting or TV news reporting from scratch at age 23?

Every single time a reporter or actress comes on my screen, I feel inferior because I'm just a nobody in the audience, when I want that spotlight.

I have a YouTube Channel: youtube.com/trueloveishard

so as you can see, no one watches me and it's sad

look up tony robbins and watch i am not your guru . 

• e9601:

You are in a fantasy world. You're not a kid, but an adult. Seek therapy.

• F

And I’m so depressed that I’m not a billionaire. 

This is absolutely NOT the time to go into the entertainment industry. So many out-of-work, highly skilled actors ahead of you in line for gigs. 

The YouTubes is a good start. If you need to collaborate with others to punch up your content, work with the funniest person you know and be their straight man.

Get a job at mcdonalds

• James

Do you realize how many beautiful actresses go into depression when they start to lose their looks ? They have the added problem of people looking at them and pointing them out and talking about them . I heard one famous actress talking about it and she said she went to a place and a lot of people gathered and noticed her and she heard one woman say to another person  " Oh look how old she looks ". That's a nice problem not to have . You can just be yourself and be a normal person which is a good thing .

What should you do?  You might consider seeking professional help for your depression and anxiety.  Especially since you’re suffering. That way you can actually deal with the underlying issues.  You seem to think being an actor or reporter will somehow solve your problems.  I can assure you it won’t.

Acting is not a way to escape yourself or your life.  You need to address the underlying causes of your depression and anxiety.

• Cogito

You may be depressed - but it's NOT because you're not an actor.

You have a totally unrealistic notion of what it means to be an actor - or a news reporter.  They aren't 'glamorous'.  

Even if you had pushed yourself and done everything you possibly could to become an actor, it's about 99.999% probable that you'd be broke, struggling, exhausted, and getting rejected for virtually every role you tried for.  That's the same for almost all actors.  

Few ever get more then a few odd days' work a year and have to work an ordinary, often boring job just to afford their rent and food.  It's honestly nothing like you seem to imagine.

Try to be realistic.  All you seem to be craving is attention, approval, admiration and money.  That's NOT why people really become actors.  Very few actors get any of that.  

• sam

You can start acting at any age, but you won’t make it if your only aim is to make money and be in the spotlight. People who are successful actors are acting because they love the craft and working with other people. 

It's very difficult in that area but you could try and make a Youtube channel but it depends on what, how you gonna get the audience and the views that you have to work for it.