Planning to have 5-month old kitten neutered? What are the disadvantages and risks? Behavioral changes?

I've read on the benefits of having cats neutered and spayed, what are possible disadvantages?

And in your opinion, when's the best time? Thanks.

One more thing I want to add to previous replies is that it's better to do it during warm season and keep the cat indoor after surgery. 

My vet actually  saved my Kitty's life when I took her in for neutering. 

During the procedure, she also noticed that she had intestinal damage,  possibly from a hard fall, as a kitten.   She had to do some additional surgery to fix the problem. 

So good thing we had her neutered  and caught that. 

A female cat can be impregnated at 6 months. So if you don't want kittens and have unfixed male cats around you need to take her to a vet before then.

Fix a male cat and he'll be less likely to demand to be let outside. Saving on destroyed curtains and shredded carpet at the door. And he won't go out on nighty jaunts to do battle with all the other male cats in the area. Because that's what fully functional male cats do. Take away their male drive to propagate the species and he'll most likely lay around waiting to be fed and pampered.

• ZotsRule

WRONG!  Clearly you've never volunteered at a shelter.  Kittens can become pregnant as young as FOUR MONTHS!!!

• Ocimom

There are no disadvantages of neutering .  Risks are with any other surgery.  Males are less because its less evasive then spaying a female which invovles major surgery.  Behavior changes are greater IF you delay spay/neuter.  

He's old enough to be neutered now before he matures much more.  Normally kittens are done at 3-4 months old, so plan on neutering him quickly because he could start marking territory and getting a little aggresive.

• ZotsRule

Neutering of kittens has SUCH a quick recovery time!  My rescued Persian kitten was neutered a few months ago and was wonky for a few hours from the anesthesia but running around later that night!

There are no disadvantages.

All cats should be spayed and neutered anyways

• PAMELA

5 months is about the right age, there is no disadvantage in having this done, you have a happier cleaner pet, they usually live longer too because they are not getting into fights and getting injured, there are no behavioral changes, i have had many, many cats and have never noticed any changes at all, also it prevents them fathering more unwanted kittens, thousands are put down each year.

• ZotsRule

WRONG!  How is that the "right" age when a female kitten can be pregnant as young as FOUR months???  The RIGHT age is between 8 weeks and 4 months as long as the kitten is healthy and weighs at least two pounds.

• Mrs H

I see no disadvantages. I haven't heard any risks of neutering. Over the years we've had 6 cats neutered and they were fine and calmer afterward 

There are ZERO disadvantages. I do hope you're keeping him indoor because kittens can reach sexual maturity as young as FOUR months. You could have altered him as young as eight weeks. Get him done ASAP!!!! I'm sure he also hasn't gotten any of his kitten shots, either, has he?

Neutering is for males, spaying if for females. So you can't have both done LOL

• patty

before coming into sexual maturity so asap.

I take it this is a male. In that case it's a minor procedure and will heal very quickly. About all you'll notice about your boy is that he's going to be miffed with you for a while for grabbing him, putting him in a box, taking him to a strange place full of strange smells and letting him be poked and prodded by strangers.  He'll be over it quickly, cats heal with lightning speed.  There'll be no lasting bad effects. It should help stop him spraying everywhere and getting into danger hunting females in heat.

For a female it's a major operation, with all the risks that entails. 

Best talk it over with your vet. They can also have different views about when is the best time to do it, though 5 months is certainly old enough.