NP asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 2 months ago

How to fix paint design on shirt that isn't centered right?

I sprayed a logo with fabric paint onto a shirt, then realized it was a little off center even though I measured it. I can wear it slightly off center and it's less noticeable, but it's driving me crazy. It's a bit too far left.

How do I fix it? Is re-sewing it the best option, or trying to remove the paint? (Having trouble removing the paint, lol)

• drip

Reset what?    Tearing the shirt apart and altering it will only make it smaller, not center your design,    Wear it off center or throw the shirt out. 

• elhigh

Take the shirt and center it over a round hole about two feet in diameter.

The open top of a trash can is about that size.  Let go of the shirt.  Let it fall into the hole.

Sorry, but there is no fixing this.  

Seriously, just try again.  Fabric paint doesn't come off easily - it's designed to survive washing, after all - and what would you sew?  You'd have to take the shirt apart and put it back together again, and the only way to do that and not have it look bizarre would be to put it back together in a smaller size - which still might look bizarre.

For the time and effort you could waste trying to save this shirt - shoot, just for the time and effort you could spend trying to figure out how to save this shirt - you could redo it several times over.  So skip these doomed steps and just jump directly to the point where you do it over.

Good luck.

Try again on a different shirt.

Attempting to repair the shirt isn't worth it.

• elhigh
      1 month agoReport

Even when I'm nice to you, you gotta be the way you are, don't you.  You're a pretty unhappy person, I think.

You'll never get the paint completely off without damaging the fabric. Re-sewing will change the size and line of the shirt, so probably not practical. Other than living with it or starting over with a new shirt, I have 2 suggestions.

1. If this is a cotton knitted T-shirt, don't put it in the dryer after washing.  Instead, "stretch" it so the seams are a little off center but the design is centered.  Then hang-dry. The downside is you'll have to do this each time you wash.

or

2. Add a little something to the logo on the right side of the shirt. Depending on the design, it could be as simple as a straight vertical line or your name.  Maybe a flowering vine....it really depends on the design that's there, and you'll have to be a little creative and think out of the box. This is the only really practical solution, other than starting over on a different shirt.

Other than replacing the shirt, expand the design to include something more adding more to your design to the right.  This makes the whole thing look larger, but then more centered. 

Buy another shirt. Try again and be more careful next time.