Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentLaw & Legal · 2 months ago

Renewing memberships?

As a coach I have to have a yearly professional membership and liability insurance in my sport. The membership begins and ends at the end of August. Because of the virus there’s 4 months that my membership isn’t being used. Here comes all the membership renewal info and they want full price for the next year. Do you think this is right? Do you think they should work with the members to lower the cost to reflect the time that we are unable to use our membership? 

The insurance is still in place, even if you are not coaching a team.

That's like saying "I didn't use my car last month, so I didn't use the insurance so the company should give me a refund" - the insurance was still in place to cover you IF something had happened, so you don't get a refund.

You may not be actively coaching a team, but if you are still recognized as holding that position there is still the potential for liability or lawsuits if someone claims you did something wrong. For example what happens if a few of  your team members get together for an informal practice session without your knowledge and someone thinks you organized it in violation of league rules or local health guidelines - your liability insurance would step in to defend you just like they would do in normal times.

So while a discount would be nice, its not unfair for the association to charge the same price as always.

• Rick

A partial refund at least for my insurer, it wasn't a full refund for that period.

It would be nice if they lower the price, but there is no obligation for them to do this