What’s the point of trying to find a job now right after high school and I’m going to the military soon?

Parents want me to find a job for summer but it’s extremely difficult. This whole coronavirus stuff screwed it up. Boot camp is going to be like in 2 or 3 monthfor me. Working at a dead end fast food or retail job and getting paid $9 an hour doesn’t seem appealing to me. I know someone has to do it, but not me.

Favorite Answer

You sound like my nephew, gets out of school and won't take a job unless he gets 20 bucks an hour, entitled little prick.

Enjoy boot camp.

Job experience is very important. I have 15 years of job experience in different sectors, BPO, NGO, my own institute, freelancing, companies... 

• L

At least you'll have some money to spend and something to do with all the free time you'll have before going off to Boot Camp.  When you're not working - spend time with your family as much as you can because once you're in the military - you won't be able to see them just any time you want ever again.

• Marvin

I suggest you get a job. Get one that requires you to get up early and spend all day on your feet. You want to work as hard as possible before you get to "boot camp" because you will want to be used to it. 

I am a Veteran. I was in the Air Force and that is pretty much the same as the Army. We woke up every morning at 0400, made our beds, ran PC, showered and ate breakfast.  Then at 0500 we got busy.  Thirty minuets of that first hour was intense exercise. In the evening we did another hour of PC, showered, ate, and went back to the barracks to study our training manuals, sing the Air-Force song, and then get to bed at about 2200.  We did that every day for something like six weeks. I do not remember exactly because that was over 30 years ago. 

Oh, and each day was a bit different. On some days we trained on chart reading and navigation. Some days we trained on weapons. Some days we trained on aircraft identification. ON some days we learned hand to hand combat. On some days we trained on how to exit an aircraft in an emergency, how to fight a fire, and how to carry an injured person. It was no walk in the park. You want to be ready for that stuff.

Good luck

• Judy

That's between you and your parents. Watching you just lay around all summer and supporting you might not seem appealing to them.

Working a fast food job isn't appealing to you.  You spending the next few months on the couch playing video games and mooching off of your parents isn't appealing to them.  Hopefully you and your parents can come to some kind of understanding.  

The point is to make some money, instead of playing videos games all day.

Well you could spend a little time applying, but with something like 25% unemployment right now the employers may be picky about who they hire - especially when you tell them the truth that you are going to be in the military in 60 to 90 days. It takes that long for most employees to be worth more than they are costing.

News flash. The same thing is true when you enter the military! Your parents just don't want you laying around the house for those months. If you can respect authority and follow orders now you're going to just love boot camp!

Much like the military, if you show skill and aptitude in those industry positions you can advance.  (e.g. to an asst manager/manager position).  Granted I know you're not going to have enough time for that opportunity but don't disparage the job.

And btw, in the service you're going to be mopping floors, scrubbing crappers, etc ad naseum at least until E-4 or above.

Source(s): military veteran - 6.5 yrs.
    • Fin1 month agoReport

You will still be doing field day (aka cleaning) in some form or fashion.  It never goes away completely in the junior NCO ranks.

You’re right. Never work those jobs. They’re made on misery