Anonymous

Is there anything special I need to do while evicting someone on SSI? ?

I'm not sure if they have any protections under the law. 

I found out my tenant who claimed she couldn't pay rent because of Corona virus was lying to me about not having an income because she lost her job. But I found out she was on SSI. I originally asked a question awhile back about how to find out if someone is on SSI. I decided to open her mail and I found out she's getting over 700 dollars but has been lying to me which is illegal. 

She says I can't legally kick her out. I'm so beyond angry words can not describe how I feel for this POS to be so blatantly sociopathic to use a tragedy like this to take advantage of people and lie. When she moved in I didn't even know she was on SSI, she gave me some probably fabricated bank statements saying she got paid for some online business she owns or something. I don't know what to believe but I'm through with this and want her out now! 

We dont ask for tax records because we just want to verify income. Not to mention, if she falsified the bank statements then she probably could have easily falsified a tax record.

But good point thank you for informing me about her online business being in violation of her SSI offices rules. I don't know much about that program but I suppose it might be a real shame of they found out! I'm going to mention that to her real soon. Maybe she will have a change her mind about not paying rent!

How do you delete questions? 

• A} you can't delete questions once they have been answered once

B} you can fire anyone for breach of lease even if they are on ssi and pay you rent is  a part of the lease.

go to the local ssi building and report that she was working enough to pay her rent without useing her ssi as you did not even know she had it as she could be commiting ssi fraud

• also why did you not just do an ssn backround check for all info when you leased the place to her as then you would have learned of her fiscal status legally,but now you will go to jail if you act on this because you were an idiot

Yeah you know you go do that. Go tell her you opened her mail and will tell SSA. Go get em tiger! But be sure to come back and update everyone on how it went. lol 

"I decided to open her mail "

That's a felony. You're already going to be in more trouble than she will.

"lying to me which is illegal. "

Lying to you isn't illegal. She's not under oath and you aren't law enforcement.

"She says I can't legally kick her out."

Maybe, maybe not, depends on the terms of the lease. If she's behind in rent, then yeah, she likely is in violation of the lease agreement and you can kick her to the curb. 

"When she moved in I didn't even know she was on SSI, she gave me some probably fabricated bank statements saying she got paid for some online business she owns or something."

You can be on SSI and still have a job. It's not uncommon.

" I don't know much about that program but I suppose it might be a real shame of they found out! I'm going to mention that to her real soon. Maybe she will have a change her mind about not paying rent!"

You might want to pump the brakes on that. You threaten her, she'll come back and bring in the feds for mail tampering. As I mentioned before, that's a felony offense. You could easily come out of this way worse than she will. 

I think you need to take a step back and calm down. A federal statute known as 18 USC Section 1702 makes it illegal to open correspondence addressed to someone else. As a landlady you are expected to know that.

1. She can get SSI, for $783. a month and still have had a job.

2. Do you really think 783 pays all the bills for most people? She may need the job to pay her rent.

3. She might have a job that she reports to SSI. She might have lost that job. That may make it impossible for her to pay her rent.

4. You can evict her as you would any other tenant. Give her proper notice. If she refuses to leave, take her to court. Know that if you tell them you know she gets SSI from and pay her some hefty fines.opening her mail - you could land in jail for 5 years.

She may have done nothing illegal, it is not illegal not to disclose you get SSI (or any other federal benefit or child support). She may have provided you with perfectly legitimate bank statements.  You did commit a felony. 

I suggest you sell this property and get out of the rental business. 

• Because obviously she has no idea how to be a proper landlady. No one in their right mind opens someone's mail and posts about it on the internet. The bank statement could have easily been verified by looking at it carefully. 

You want legal advice, pay an attorney.

in many areas it is currently illegal to evict for non payment related to covid...

and what really doesn't make sense...is that she should get the 1200 stimulus unless someone claims her as a dependent and that should help pay a couple months rent.  (see more details at bottom).  if she has enough work income (and had been paying taxes) she would get unemployment.

IF SHE HAS A JOB AND EARNS OVER 85/month IT REDUCES THE SSI...without doing the math, if actual income from self employment is over about 250, her SSI would be less than 700.  if her work income was 485/month, her SSI would be reduced by 200...any income over 85 reduces the SSI

yes the laws are different in trollville....

opening her mail is a federal offense.  can't use that info to evict.

didn't you verify employment when you rented the place?  there are other ways such as tax returns.

you are claiming her income is only SSI...how much is rent?

lying to you isn't illegal, falsely filing out a rental application could be grounds to evict.

how much did she say her work income was?

online businesses are still running.  if she really has an online business, and she is not reporting income to SSI, that is fraud....unless her income is very low (about $250/month which would still entitle her to about 700 SSI)

hey ace, tax records verify income.....

the business doesn't violate rules, not reporting income does.  it could be that she was using that income to pay rent...

but ONLY A TROLL WOULD OPEN A TENANTS MAIL AND ADMIT TO IT.

AND if it was just a recent SSA letter...it could have been a statement increasing her SSI due to lost work income...it could be that she previously reported work income and previously got a reduced amount....and when she stopped working SSI went back up.

It depends. Ask a real attorney.