Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 1 month ago

If I crash a new car during a test drive, am I responsible for the damages?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • emily5
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Yes. You are responsible for any damage cause by test drive and you are at fault.

Source(s): What I know.
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Oh yes--the dealership will most certainly try to hold you responsible. Your car insurance should cover you (like they do in a rental car) but it could cost you a bundle. 

• 1 month ago

Perhaps you should walk!

• Kaz
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The dealer is insured, they would collect the deductible from you - if it was deemed you caused the accident.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

The dealer insures the car. 

You are obliged to pay the excess (US=deductible). 

If the accident is deemed to not be your fault then you’ll usually get the excess refunded to you. 

If the accident is deemed to be your fault then the insurer will do all they can to recover their losses from you.

• 1 month ago

You're financially liable because you were the driver. You better have had full coverage insurance. If they let you take a test drive without verifying that you have full coverage insurance. Well you're still financially liable. But the dealership also has insurance in case their vehicle is damaged while they're trying to sell it to you. this is why you have full coverage insurance so you can call your insurance company and let your insurance company sue the other insurance company to recover their losses. Because it's an inherent risk when you're trying to sell somebody something and you expect them to take a test drive your bearing a part of the responsibility that there could be an accident during the test drive. that again is why you have full coverage insurance before you touch somebody else's vehicle. Otherwise you're stuck paying the bill instead of having your insurance company pay the bill for you and then recover the money from the dealerships insurance for the inherent risk

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, the dealer or their insurance company is going to come after you.

• Never
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Do not feed the troll. The kid is not getting a test drive because children trolls do not buy cars.

• Barry
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Although the car will be covered by motor trader's insurance I expect the dealer or insurer will pursue you for at least the excess, maybe the whole cost especially if you were negligent.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.