Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesDancing · 1 month ago

Am I too old to start dancing?

In my childhood I loved to dance, I attended different classes such as street dance, cheerleading, jazz, tap and ballet. I loved every bit of it, the costumes, the routines and the competitions. But I got sick and everything came to a halt, I spent years in and out of hospital. I lost my teenage years to this illness but now I’m 21 and in perfect health again thankfully. But I’d love to take up on dancing again but it would be like starting from scratch, am I too old for that now?

Even if your aspirations were to be a dancer fulltime but poor health prevented that doesn't mean you've lost that opportunity. 21 is still extremely young and you've also got lots of experience within many different dance categories which will set you in good stead once you've overcome your nervousness re being too old, please. I wish you the very best whatever you decide so long as it's to give your dream a 2nd chance. No pressure.   

I started dance (not included 2 months at 5), at 31 and I danced for 11 years. You would be fine starting over, like Mint said, find beginner level classes and go have fun. If there are no "adult" beginner classes, ask if you can join the oldest teen class, I danced with kids as young as 8 or 10 in some classes, no one cared we were all there to learn.

Find an adult beginner ballet class and get restarted. You will need to start from scratch to rebuild both technique and lost muscle. 

No! You’re never too old to start up

Of course you aren't too old.

Yes, you are. Have you considered taking up Bingo?