Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

Anybody else only make macorini and cheese on special occasions because of how expensive it is ?

If I cook macorini and cheese on a regular day that’s the only thing I’m making the entire day. No sides or anything. It’s takes a long time to make and it cost a fortune for all of the cheese and ingredients. Of course you can buy kraft for a dollar but I prefer home made Mac and cheese with all of the different layers of cheese just wish it wasn’t so expensive and time consuming to make 

If only one person it lasts longer. 

Lmfao Naw boy, you just can't cook. 

• Jane

Don't be fooled by a long list of ingredients- it's still just pasta in cheese sauce , will take maybe 20 mins prep and 30 mins to bake max. You'll have plenty of time to throw a salad together to go with it. Don't panic!

• Cammie

You need a new recipe .I make a roux with black pepper and dry mustard.Add a cup of milk and stir till it becomes a white sauce.Add shredded american and cheddar cheese to make a cheese sauce.Pour over cooked macaroni and add some corn flake topping with a bit of butter or even bread crumbs.

Cook till bubbling.Let rest a few minutes and enjoy.I hope that helps.

• kswck2

Macorini and cheese is Not expensive to make. I start with the Blue Box, but I throw away the pasta and just use the cheese sauce as a starter. Pasta is cheap, cheese-just wait till it is on sale. 

I'm not sure why you think you need all that to make mac and cheese. I make mine with whipping cream, milk, (you could use half and half in place of both) some processed cheese, some sharp cheddar, and if I want to get fancy I'll add some onion flakes, or some Dijon mustard, or some chopped sundried tomato, or some smoked paprika, rarely all four of those. I'd say it costs me about $8, tops, for four servings. I put the cooked pasta in a pan, add the other stuff, stir it to combine everything, and bake it.

And a pound of dry pasta ought to make enough to serve at least 8 people, so per serving it's not that expensive.

Most of the cheeses in your recipe contribute nothing but calories, as does the evaporated milk. You could leave out the havarti, the jack, the cream cheese, the gouda, the mozzarella and use a bit more cheddar and it will taste just as good.

I buy end pieces of cheese at the deli, it is a mix of different cheeses. Less expensive than packages of cheese. 

No need for the types of cheese you use. 

I use milk or evaporated milk, not half and half. 

Find another recipe.  Mack-N-Cheese is or can be a real inexpensive meal or it can be made more expensive using more expensive ingredients. 

Only a 2020 foodie could complain soul food, aka slave food is expensive.

Man, paying Bubba to clean the poop out of those non GMO gluten free pig intestine at $15/hour sure is expensive.

I never make it. I don't like it.

If man & cheese is too pricey for you, then forget steak.

And, the last time I bought Kraft dinner, I got a deal, $6 for a dozen boxes, Canadian dollars, too.