Is using laptop without battery ok?

My laptop battery is garbage.  Is there anything wrong with removing the battery and just using the laptop with the plug?  I just want something to surf on the couch, I'm not going to take it out of the house.

I think nothing wrong with that. 

It will work like a desktop. 

Just keep in mind that many a time Charger point loose and your laptop will shut down.

Hi Becky,  Yes.  It is indeed safe to work on the laptop without a battery. However there is one thing I must tell you :    When you are working on a word document , excel sheet, email, or editing a photo etc etc  ALWAYS SAVE !   The reason why I stress that is because once the power plug comes out the laptop will shut down immediately and everything you just worked on will be lost. Your document will be where you saved it but it will not have what you just added.   I understand that battery replacements can be expensive but you may want to find a computer repair shop in your hometown that is owned by a mom and pop. They would normally have a battery that can be sold for next to nothing. Also, may want to consider a flea market . Sometimes computer technicians will set up a table at these places to sell spare parts.  They will have them too.  Best of luck !

Regards,  Leslie

• Shadow

The battery is there to allow the laptop to be portable and not require a power point for a while. You can remove the battery and run the laptop without it just keep in mind that if you unplug it by accident or there is a power failure, you laptop will turn off and any work you were doing may be lost.

yes, as long as it has power cord plugged in.

My 1999 Dell Latitude has had a bad battery for 16 years.   Still works fine.

Use the laptop only on a flat clean surface like a board or laptop cooler pad on the couch, not on upholstery fabric.  Tape the plug to the socket so it does not come out suddenly.

Use a small fan in a box on any laptop.  The USB exhaust fans are great to lower the internal heat.  I buy Cool Cold Ice Troll (any series of 3, 4, 5 models) for less than $15 from China on Ebay.  They make a laptop 15 *F cooler.

• keerok

The laptop can function without the battery, no problems there but the battery will still drain even if not attached to the laptop. 

There is a point of discharge when the battery won't go back to full capacity. The battery also has a life expectancy where after so many recharges, it won't last as long as before. When these happen, you can buy a replacement battery. 

Is using laptop without battery ok? Yes.

It'll work but I'd agree with David. Using it on the couch might mean you risk dislodging the cable, in which case the machine will shut off suddenly and you could be losing or corrupting your files.  I'd look for a replacement battery.

it should be ok without a battery.

u should get a battery for ur laptop in case the power goes out, so u won't lose current files when the power goes out.

Yeah that will work fine.