Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

How to tell a close friend you don’t want to co-sign with his girlfriend of 3 months on a car loan?

Hi everyone,

My friend and his new girlfriend if 3 months have been on unemployment for 3 months now due to the Novel Coronavirus and is thinking about purchasing a vechile that I was asked to co-sign for since I have 2 jobs. When I got the text the reason was that “neither of us are on an active payroll right now “.  My problem with this excuse is that while times certainly are tough now, neither one of them has filled out a job application in the last 2 months, neither have been sick, and happily collect stimulus checks and unemployment benefits. There’s not money for a car but money for booze and weed seems to appear no problem every day multiple times a day. What’s the best way to express this frustration without damaging the relationship?

"I don't consider your new girlfriend a good risk so I won't co-sign for her loan.  Give up the booze and weed for a few days and you might be able to buy the car without a loan, loser.  Get off your lazy butt and get a job for a year and we can talk again then."    Afraid you might lose a friend.  If you do over this, you didn't have a friend.  friends can be honest with each other.

Tell the deadbeat to go pound sand and that there is no way you are risking your credit and paycheck for someone who smokes and boozes but can't seem to get a damn job. That's a pretty simple answer.

Just say no. Tell them that you're unable to and leave it at that. You don't owe them any kind of explanation. If they decide not to be friends with you anymore over it then they weren't really your friends to begin with.

Just say that your current financial situation doesn't allow you to take on that potential burden, and you are very sorry.  Simple.  

• Foofa

Unemployed people shouldn't be buying cars. So just tell them NO. 

Just explain that you have been advised from a legal standpoint that being a co-signer for any kind of loan for anybody is an extremely bad idea and it should NEVER be done under any circumstances. Just make it clear that is is not a personal judgement but a well know and iron clad policy. A HUGE number of co-signers end up paying the for the loan. You are correct that your friend's situation is over flowing with red flags and he is clearly not in a reasonable position to buy a car (new or used) right now (ever?). Taking responsibility for an obviously irresponsible person would demonstrate even worse judgement. 

Was the question asked before or after having sex?

If before, then "say you'll do it", if after, then "no f*cking way". 

If you don't want to end up paying for the car or having your credit ruined, don't co-sign.  Just man up, and say "no".

• Tavy

Just say NO and leave it at that.

• Bob

Tough one but something you have to do. Do NOT co-sign this loan unless you're happy to take over the repayments.

If he is insisting that you do, then just cut ties and be done with him.