Why does my cat keep spilling his water bowl??

It's driving me nuts! As soon as I fill it, he will play in it and leave a big mess everywhere. Also, he gets himself wet and then walks water all over the house. I've tried moving the bowl but it still keep happening. I've had to resort to putting it in the laundry room sink so that it doesn't matter if he spills it. He knows where it is, so he's still able to drink but most of the time it's empty as he's spilled it all! I refill it every time i check it to make sure he's not out of water, but most of the time, when we're all out of the house, it's empty because he's spilled it all.

I should also add, he's about 7 months old and we got him about 3 months ago from the shelter.  He's happy and healthy otherwise.  I have no idea what breed he is.

Try him with a big, heavy bowl with a wide base, that he can't knock over.

Try different types of bowls til you find one he can’t knock over.  I’ve seen dogs do this but not cats.  It can actually be unsafe for him to not have fresh water available, so I’d be trying to figure out a way to get past this.

I’d continue to have his water bowl in the sink in the laundry room but you can also see if you can get him accustomed to a licksit type water source.  These are used for rodents and rabbits, it’s a water bottle with a spout with a stainless steel ball in it so when the animal licks it water is released.  This would be a good secondary water source, you don’t want your cat to get dehydrated.  To get him used to using the licksit you could try filling with homemade chicken broth (no salt of course) at first.

because most cats are allergic to waters so they like to flip it over.

• patty

i would think it was cute

Many many cats like to play in their water bowls. They love to watch the reaction the water has when they touch it. And a lot of cats don't mind being wet at all. Put an absorbent towel or mat under the dish, and STOP moving it around! Cats also like their food and water to be in the same place all the time!  

One handy thing is the kind of water dish that has a big tank on it so you don't have to fill it as often--these can't spill or be moved by the cat. I'd get one of those kind and still put a towel under it--or a rubber mat--and leave him alone. It's what he likes to do! 

Does his whiskers touch the sides of the bowl when he drinks?  Cats dislike that, some really, really hate it.  Try a wider bowl.  Also, some bowls are hard for the cat to judge the depth of the water so they splash it to find where the surface of the water is.  If he does this when the bowl is freshly filled from the tap it's unlikely to aerate it, unless the bowl isn't cleaned often enough making the water taste funky.

• Snid

Because he can.  Cats don't need a reason to be little jerks.

Seems he has you well trained, invest in a rubber based no-spill bowl, or a bowl with a water dispenser attached. 

There are different kinds of bowls.  Some are much more difficult to tip over.  They have heavy a heavy base and wider footprint.  Try one of those.  He may lost interest when it's more difficult to tip.  Good luck and thanks for rescuing him from the shelter.  They make the best friends.  I think they know how lucky they are.

Is it tap water?  If it is, I'd dump it too - undrinkable.  I feed my cats RO water, with a couple of drops of Concentrace Mineral Drops.  They never dump good water.  You need to keep it fresh too.  Don't just dump & add more.  It needs the bacteria scrubbed off every day - a good clean.  See if it makes a difference.  Also, kittens need cat toys.  Does it have some?

Source(s): Owner of cats for decades.