Learner Drivers UK?

Does the person supervising the learner have to be insured on the car they're supervising in?

I'm aware learner has to be insured on the car, has to be taught by someone over 21 and has had their license for 3 years or more. 

I suppose if they were driving to work or wherever and dropping the learner off, the other person would need to be insured to drive back, but just on a driving lesson?

• Neil
    Favorite Answer

It is not a legal requirement for the supervising driver to be insured on the car, but it is advisable in case they have to take over the driving if the learner encounters a situation in which they cannot cope.

• Thank you I thought so but was struggling to find an answer 

• May

People (drivers) are not insured.

Vehicles are insured.....!!!!!!!!Simply make sure that any vehicle you ever drive is insured

• Neil
      1 month agoReport

This is a US, not a UK, answer. In the UK most car insurance policies only cover those people named on the policy.