Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferencePrimary & Secondary Education · 1 month ago

Can a child get held back a grade because of bad behavior?

A friend of mine told me that her 7 year old daughter is being held back but she says her grades are good. Though her grades are good, she does have a behavior problem. She has threatened teacher and principal.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Yes, the child can get held back because of her behavior. And more to the point, I hope your friend has had the sense to get her daughter into therapy with a mental health professional, so that the child can work through whatever issue or issues may have led her to make threats.

Your friend is actually lucky that her daughter didn't get expelled from school, in fact. Kids have been kicked out for far lesser issues than that.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

There's something else going on, no school is going to hold a child back due to behavior alone. It's tougher and tougher to hold back students and the parents have to agree as well, I believe. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

no not practical

if the grades are made the teacher will be glad to pass on the bad behavior child to the next level of people. 

holding back a behavior problem child is asking for a problem

the actual problem is passing children who are not passing but are well behaved 

schools are not responsible nor should they be for attitude and behavior correction .. parents are.... 

• drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Threatening the teacher and principal won’t Help the situation . A public school? She needs to read the school district polices. She can contact the Superintendent of the school district. Having a meeting and calmly talking about the issue will get her more information and results. A private school will be different. In my child’s (private) kindergarten class their teacher refused to allow two student to go on the 1st grade.  Their grades were great. There were good academically, but not socially or emotionally.  The parents had no recourse. 

The parent needs to address the bad behavior. Find out if there are mental issues or learning disabilities, adhd or something physical.  Some kids just need more time to mature. They can be overwhelmed in the classroom.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Yes, that can happen.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.