Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Do you think it's right for parents to slap their kids in the face if they say something highly disrespectful?

My sister called my Mom a "f**cking b**tch" and my Mom slapped her across the face.

I think that was wrong (as well as my two others sisters) and so does our father.

What do you think?

Well my sister is 15. She got into trouble for doing something she wasn't supposed to be doing (won't disclose what it is here) and so Mom went off on her. To be fair, we don't believe that our sister shouldn't have gone unpunished. We just think the slap is uncalled for.

For those wondering why our father took our side, well he's anti-violence, but I will also admit that he does spoil us, especially our youngest sister who is 15. So maybe that's also why he's so protective here.

Gene - No. They're on good terms now.

Favorite Answer

You know what could have prevented this? Don't call your mom a f**cking b**tch.

See until and unless kids won't get slapped THEY don't realise that they are wrong. Your sister called your mom a ****** ***** and you are saying that slapping of your mother was WRONG. Are you seriOus Brother ??? If your mom will not slap her than What do u expect your mom to do huh ?!? Do you expect her to praise her. ? I mean isn't there any respect inside you and your sister towards your mother. I mean i love and respect my PARENTS so much that i CAN'T even think to say this to her. My parents are god to me. 

She behaved like a spoiled child, so should have been sent to her room like a naughty child

• Rinkydink
      1 month agoReport

Right after she was slapped in the face

• SW-6

While I am not supporting serious non stop child abuse here, I think a slap was in order.  If that child is not put on blast to know that you don't go around talking like that or you will probably get this same slap and more, then there is too much chance IMO that the child may think talking like that in public will only result in people walking away if all you do is walk away when this is said. 

I know in my day if I called my mother a F****** B**** or my kids called me the same, a crack in the MOUTH would follow immediately.  No child abuse involved.  A firm reminder of giving respect to your elders and your parents and a firm reminder of them getting off easy with me popping them in the mouth as opposed to the full beat down they will get on the street if those words are used towards another. 

Harsh as it may sound, it worked for me, my siblings and cousins. 

Mom's reaction was appropriate.. Anything much less would have been contributing to her delinquency & the pervasive entitled demeanor that many young people have.

It's insulting to be slapped across the face, but it's also very insulting to call your mother a name like that. My daughter wouldn't have DARED to speak to me like that, but, if she had, I might have impulsively slapped her across the face.

No. That's considered abuse today. There's other forms of not violent punishment that work just as well if not better.

• SW-6
      1 month agoReport

I agree Jerry - All I do to make sure my kids are clothed, fed, have a roof over their head, etc - yes you will show me more respect than that.  SMH...

Lol the answers here.  You can always tell the modern white people from the black and Asian ones.  

You wouldn't dare have that same level of disrespect in a black or Asian family.  THEY KNOW THEIR PLACE!! At the same time, they know they are loved

They grow up respecting their elders, and the other ones put their parents in old people's homes.

White kid: "Mom you're an ******** *****"

"Go to your room and have a time out honey"

- Kid has no incentive not to do that again.  Shows parental weakness - that is going to cause her a whole lot of grief one day, and it won't stop.

What happens if the kid hits the mother?  What are you going to say? Go to your room?  Timeout?  You're grounded?  There will come a time you can't ground them anymore.

Black/Asian kid: … 

- Kid can fool around with his friends, but knows his parents are his parents.  Even kids who are gangsters don't mess around with mom.

Black/Asian kids in general can occasionally be mouthy, but never swear at their parents or hit them.

Come down hard once, never happens again. Wait too long, you'll have a never-ending battle before you.

If you had all doubled down on that support behind your mother and you had just talked to your sister and told her to apologise, it would never happen again.  

• Richard
      1 month agoReport

AT AMANDA: So U are saying that verbal abuse is OK? It's a stand off. In my opinion the slap was nothing compared to the disrespect of the parent.. U Live under my roof U follow my rules. 

What did your mum say / do?  Any disagreement can be settle with cool headed conversation. Your sister can lay on the table what she is angry with and also tell your mum WHY!  She should seek all avenues to settle the disagreement amicably. Children must never scold their parents! No way !

• Jesere

I do not believe in hitting a child, I know it does nothing but hurt the child and is done out of anger. My daughter was 11/2 years old, when she called me a *****, I  had my back to her and almost lost it.... I told her we use the word grouch. If my daughter called me a f.....b......, I  would ask her why am I  a f b? If one knows their child they see the frustration and addresses it. I tried it on a 17 year old son of my boyfriend in 2003. It worked for me.

• Linda

Well that's you and that's not me.