I just finished my Masters and I realize I don’t want to be in this field any longer ?

I just finished my Masters Degree in higher education my goal was to work for and teach at a university. I’ve come to realize after completing my degree that this is NOT the field for me. As I’ve moved up in my field I realize EVERYTHING is political. EVERYTHING is about being “politically correct” towards students, being ever so careful not to “offend” anyone. I went to write a response to a student and my supervisor asked me if she could rewrite my emails from now on to sound more “feminine” and that I write emails in too “masculine” of a tone. WHAT?? I’m not into politics at all nor will I ever discuss my political viewpoints to my counterparts  but I was shocked to hear they fired a girl in my department because she told the assistant dean she supported Trump. They all laughed about it afterwards. I know it’s not just my university apparently this goes on everywhere in higher education. I’ve worked in the field for 8 years but I traveled as an admissions counselor for 6 all over the country so I was never really “in the office” to experience what goes on and the last 2 years I worked as a graduate assistant teaching classes while finishing my Masters. Again, I guess I wasn’t as “exposed” to this type of behavior/politics. This is my first “office job” where I’m at a university in an office setting all day not traveling and recruiting students, I’m miserable! Any advice? I want out of this field. I don’t know how to change fields if ALL of my experience is in higher ed.

I attended three different colleges, and I had three different majors. I was only able to graduate from 1 college.

The biggest problem I am having is finding good connections. I could choose between two different options. The first option is to find good connections, and the second option is to somehow make a fortunate 500 company.

Currently I am looking, for good connections. I made a website, and I published it online. The purpose of my website is to help people find jobs, so I am hoping I can somehow make good connections this way.

It seems you already have good connections, so you should consider yourself fortunate that you have a stable career.

The major that I chose could probably allow me to work in any industry. Depending on WHO offers me work then I might have to be careful about what I say. I think people can easily get offended.

If I am doing a job that doesn't consist of politics then I won't be talking about politics. I would be focusing on the job that was given to me.

It's my understanding that a master's degree in higher education includes classes and experience in leadership.  Perhaps you can look for jobs that involve leadership and/or mentoring.  There may be a local non-profit organization that is looking for someone with your qualifications.

As you move on through life you'll either come to realize and adapt (or not) to the fact that the more senior a job opportunity is the more political and less technical it will be.  Senior management get the big bucks not because they are better engineers, mathematicians, scientists, and such, they get the big bucks because they are better politicians.  They can get people grouped and focused onto the same goals; and that takes political acumen, not technical know how.

I  taught at the MS level for a number of years, but only as Adjunct Faculty.  I realized early in my academic career that universities and colleges are highly political if you get into the administrative arm and professorship career path.  There was no way I would get onto that political merri-go-round.  

Sounds to me like you might like the Adjunct Faculty route.  If you like to teach, but hate the administrative stuff, then try the Adjunct Faculty at one or more universities.  (BTW:  As adjunct faculty, if you can arrange it between more than one school, you might be able to teach at more than one university at any given time.  I never did that, but a couple of my colleagues did.)

Well, that's a few years down the drain.

If your supervisor wants to rewrite your emails, it doesn't bode well for your continued employment where you currently are.