Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

If you saw your GP (Dr) at the store or out somewhere and they saw you is it appropriate to say a quick hello and keep moving? Or no?

Given the strict professional,  no socal contact rules between Dr and patient.

That’s assuming they even know who you Are!

There must be times where Drs and patients see each other socially..

Or should you avoid the awkward “hello” and walk past them?

Serious answers l

Please

a "what's up doc" isn't going to kill the moment. 

What country do you live in?  I think you are confusing a few different things.

1. A patient's privacy is guaranteed, and what is discussed between a doctor and patient during a visit or treatment should not be repeated outside of the office.

2. There are no rules or laws in the US about doctors and patients not being friends or seeing each other socially.  Many people see medical professionals who they know socially.

3. it is perfectly acceptable to say hello to and acknowledge anyone with whom you have a professional relationship when you are in a non-professional environment. You can say "hi" to your pastor at the garden store, your lawyer at the pizza place, and your doctor at the grocery store. 

They are regular people like us. Say hi & move on, just as you would to anyone.

• Jerry

I'm a nurse and there are hundreds and hundreds of patients but only one of me. And it's kind of awkward when someone says "Hello, Nurse Jones!" and I have no idea who where what when. I'd rather they didn't say anything.

A few times someone I didn't recognize has come rushing up to say "Oh you were so wonderful! I wouldn't live made it without you!" and so on and even then I'd rather they just didn't say anything. 

If the doctor speaks first, you can always say "Hello Dr, you're looking well. I recognized you right away but didn't want to intrude." 

i dont see anything wrong with that

Sure.  I just wouldn't ask anything about your business relationship when not in their office.

• Chanel

It is alright to say"Hello Doctor Smith" and walk on.

I know in this day and age the people in these jobs have to be  careful about how they act or what they say. But a quick hello is harmless.

Saying hello to someone you recognize is socially acceptable, but ultimately this comes down to personal comfort level.  Some people feel uncomfortable/awkward when they see someone they know from a specific setting (e.g., GP ) in an alternative setting (e.g., supermarket).

For heaven's sake. You're allowed to KNOW and RECOGNISE your doctor!

Civilised people would say, 'Oh hello Dr Smith, nice day!' but of course we assume a doctor is always in a hurry so we wouldn't try to make them chat.

i dont see anything wrong with that