I don't want my co-workers to know much about my personal life,  is that ok?

I transferred departments at work a couple years ago, different hours, different people. I did so, to get away from coworker drama.

Years ago , I used to be much more of an open book and even had some co-workers that became friends. Long story short, things went sour and that's when I decided to go to a different department.  Let's just say it was a painful life lesson to go through some of the drama. Sharing too many things came back to bite as well, again rumors and workplace drama. I work in a factory setting so rumors fly like the wind in that sort of an environment.

After that experience, I've learned to be a bit more careful in the workplace. These days, I feel I get along with people overall, My work reviews are good, and I manage to fly under the radar(best I can).   However, as of late, I get the feeling a couple of my coworkers don't like me too well.

I'm a bit secretive about my life outside of work, I don't like to let on too much.  This may sound strange but I don't like people knowing where I went to school, what I did on a week off from work, or how much I paid for my car. I am not sure if I come off as fake or sneaky, I'm certainly not into anything "Bad" or illegal, far from it. My main goal is to get through the day unscathed.  My own view is, once i am off the clock, work stays at work. 

A bit long I know but is it normal to not want people to know anything about your personal life at work? 

Favorite Answer

Its fine with me. You are not obligated to share anything. You are there to work, not socialize.

• Scott

Then don't tell them.

You're completely fine. Your coworkers are not entitled to that information and I think that's actually a pretty good mind-set. If you think that your coworkers have a problem with that, that's their own business. It's nice to make friends at work, it can be convenient when you need help with something, but ultimately that's not what work is for. I'm personally friendly enough with my coworkers and help them out with their work to the point where they generally like me (they will usually give you the same treatment back unless they suck), but I don't offer personal info or invite anyone out to lunch or anything like that. Be friendly, not BFFs.

• Marvin

Just do not volenteer anything anymore.  That is fine.. I worked for a company for 24 years. I never posted photos of any of the women I dated, nor did I discuss them.  Some of my co-workers assumed I was gay becuase I was over 30 and made no mention of children. Later they figured out I was not gay and tried to set me up with other female co-workers, sisters, cousins, etc.

I have since moved to another country, got married, and then moved back to the USA. I work at a different company now. I never post photos of my wife and son in my cube. Nobody knows thier names.  I volenteer nothing. I mentioned adopting a boy enough that everyone knows that I am married, and we have an adopted son. But other than that they know nothing.  Nobody gossips. Nobody cares.

I am salaried, and everyone around me is educated. That might make a difference.