Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 4 months ago

Does this sound educated and informative?

(I want to post this on social media to inform others about racism and I just wanna make sure I have my facts straight or if I accidentally said something wrong)

You may of heard about George Floyd, who was unjustly murdered by a white police officer, just because he was black. Oppression against people of color has been an issue since the 18th century. Yet the majority of society only speak up about it when something horrible like this happens. What about everything that happens that doesn’t get recorded and spread all over the news? We need to be aware of this subject at all times, even after the media stops talking about it. We may not be able to resolve this tomorrow, 1 year later or even 20 years later, but that doesn’t mean we should ever stop fighting for justice. Black lives matter. So please, click this link and do anything that you can to help. https://blacklivesmatters.carrd.co/

• Foofa

That would all be more instructive if you'd point out that many groups do continue the fight even between these incidents, that this cop has a record of violence and that Mr. Floyd was being detained because he was suspected of committing a crime. This is a clear case of criminality and you don't really need to make the victim sound like a saint to make your point. These things are more productive when you include all the facts. This cop shouldn't have even been in uniform and that's the fault of the system. It's not like he doesn't have past victims of other races that he's assaulted. 

1. No cause of death has been established yet. The cop's behavior was surely inappropriate, but that's all we know right now.

2. Floyd just got out of prison for forcing his way into a woman's house to rob her. Him, his gun, and five of his friends shoved their way inside. If he's oppressed, he is also an oppressor. I can only imagine how terrifying that would have been for the home owner.

3. I'd make it a point to mention that setting Target on fire and stealing televisions is not the way to discourage racial profiling or excessive use of force. In fact, it has the opposite effect. It reinforces the "thug" stereotype that so many people have.

Bottom line, your plea lacks balance which makes it less credible. People who agree with you don't need to read what you wrote, and others will roll their eyes.

If you want to commiserate, you've done well. If you want to make people think and influence their thoughts, you've got to do better.

Sounds good to me!! So happy that you are encouraging others to support. Say it with me, BLACK LIVES MATTER!!!

• Alex

Well... if you care about people and you dont want to sound like these racist people you are mentioning then you wouldn't push for something like black lives matter because it doesn't make you any better than them. All lives matter. 

It never sounds educated when your third word in you've already said "of as if it's the verb "have." That's the kind of mistake you should "of" (lmao) been past by the time you got out of middle school, so I didn't even bother to read past that point.