Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 month ago

What is meant by the term space-time?

Favorite Answer

It is a way of expressing how location in the universe requires four coordinates to be unique.  Usually, we only worry about the three we use to define "space" (length width height or x,y,z), because we can't control where we are in time, but that does not mean time is not important as part of defining events. It is extremely important.

We have to function in a four-dimensional reality (at minimum) in order to describe reality mathematically.  time, in those terms, is an independent variable just as are the other three we use for "space".  thus, space-time.

• JuanB

If I say I'll meet you at 5PM.  We probably miss each other because we didn't say the location.

If I say I'll meet you at the corner of First and Main, we probably miss each other because we didn't say the time.

But we will likely meet if I say meet you at 5PM at the corner of First and Main.  

• John

It is about the substance that makes up the whole universe, you cannot feel the time in space, so time is something like a net there. Yeah, Weave and Warp

It's posited as the fabric that makes up the universe such that, metaphorically, space is the weave and time is the warp.