Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 1 month ago

can i get restraining order on my mother i haven't met?

my manicdepressive mother ran off with my birth certificate and all my dads cash when I was an infant and now im getting creepy af 'anonymous' handwritten physical letters from 'a friend' making extremely unspecific, vague apologies. 

I have no interest in meeting this person and want her to leave me the **** alone. I am quite furious that I must waste my time and money dealing with her childish nonsense, but I also know that my father had a restraining order on her for ten years because she was dangerous and nuts, including multiple attempts on both mine and his life, supposedly.

the two letters make me deeply uncomfortable but they are neither obviously malevolent/threatening nor signed. I don't have any contact information on her, I don't have any pictures of her, her address, and I don't even know what her current legal full name is. I dont know much about restraining orders, can I apply for one preferably in a way that assures I won't ever have to talk to her or meet with her? Also, how soul draining is the process? Am I better off just getting a gun and hermitting out until some sort of ridiculous final showdown in which she breaks into my house instead? I am currently a legal adult, not a minor. 

• Foofa

Hire a private investigator to find her and then you'll have all the info you need to file for a restraining order. 

• Squid

2 letters with vague apologies is nothing.  Just toss them in the trash.

No judge would issue a restraining order for that.

If the letters upset you just bin them.  Over and done with. Simple.